• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lining

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
do you have a bed liner? to protect against rust i presume.. i'm thinking of rhino lining but wonder if it's necessary or if it kind of detracts from the vintage feel so much that it wouldn't be worth it. is there another decent solution out there? i've seen vinyl kits out there - are they any good? mine has the original rubber mats and they are a little scuzzy. i don't want carpet because it will just smell like dog and won't keep rust away (right?).<br><br>also throw costs in to the discussion, that would be helpful.<br><br>thanks!<br><br><br>

Blue_Oval_Boy

Loc.
New Site, Alabama
i have proliner spray in bed liner. got it done firewall to tailgate. I LOVE IT! its cost me $550 some folks on here will say they got theirs cheaper, but that was $200 cheaper than anyone else around here. just depends on where you live i guess. but with a lifetime warranty, i think it was a great investment.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I paid $500 to do rhinolining from firewall to the tailgate. I had to cut some sections out to do rust repair 4 years later.

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#63959 date=1031717068]<br>I paid $500 to do rhinolining from firewall to the tailgate. I had to cut some sections out to do rust repair 4 years later.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Mad is this cause you didn't do the repair in the first place or because it developed later? I recently had to tear up a little rhinolining and was surprised to find so many air gaps between itr and the metal. If water did manage to get in there, would be just trapped.<br><br>GRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLL- take a look at POR-15

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
I second the POR 15... I'd take everything out of the inside, and I'd sand down and take care of rust(if there) and coat with por 15, then go over it with a spray in or roll in liner. basically with the liner. you get what you pay for. my roll on sucks, but that's caus eI've been sliding 3 150 lb steel thing over it.. and there's only one coat of it.. I'd do POR and if funds allow go spray in line-x or equivilent.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#63961 date=1031717310]<br><br>GRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLL- take a look at POR-15<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ah-ha. I could use the sample pack to do the floorboards (the part I'm the most worried about..)

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
if you do one part do it all.... be smart. it's not too expensive, and you wouldnt need to much. simple insurance against rust.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=joes75 link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#63985 date=1031720817]<br> I'd do POR and if funds allow go spray in line-x or equivilent.<br>[/quote]<br><br>would it hurt to not do anything for awhile and then do line-x in about a year or should i hurry up and POR it before it rusts more?<br><br>I don't want to POR the whole bed - the bed is actually in good shape.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#63961 date=1031717310]<br>[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#63959 date=1031717068]<br>I paid $500 to do rhinolining from firewall to the tailgate. I had to cut some sections out to do rust repair 4 years later.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Mad is this cause you didn't do the repair in the first place or because it developed later? I recently had to tear up a little rhinolining and was surprised to find so many air gaps between itr and the metal. If water did manage to get in there, would be just trapped.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>It came up through the quarter seam under the rear tires.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
I know its a long drinve for bed lining, but Kanopy Kingdom in Fife does it for $380.<br><br>POR 15 is a good idea, The inside of mine was done that way and the only rust is from water getting under that nasty stock rubber mat.

Deere4440

Loc.
Helena, MT
Hand sanded entire inside, including top. sprayed on a bedliner then as an afterthought and an attempt to reduce noise and retain a little cab heat (MT gets cold) I ordered the full poly vinyl kit from LMC. It fits, but nothing like the catalogue pic and "easy to install" discription. had to order the molding kit as well (threshold) etc. very $$$$

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
I did mine w/Hercluliner, very inexpensive about 60$. 1-1/2 gal. did from under the dash to the tailgate, door jambs and fender flares.<br>Greatly reduced noise :)

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=americanhorses link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#64060 date=1031756396]<br>I did mine w/Hercluliner, very inexpensive about 60$. 1-1/2 gal. did from under the dash to the tailgate, door jambs and fender flares.<br>Greatly reduced noise :)<br>[/quote]<br><br>How did it do with the heat from exhaust? My Bronco cooks like an oven with the windows down. Don't want to put in heat sheild and carpet, but might be the only choice.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Wrap your exhaust with the header tape it helps cut down the floor board heat alot. It wont eliminate the heat but it does make it bearable. You can get it from summit or Jeggs or through most speed shops. Get some stainless steel wire and wire it down real good. The little clips they provide with the wrap won do with an off road machine. I did mine just before the summer and it has been at least 50 % improvement in bearability.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
While we are on the topic, which spray in bed liner is the "best" and or least expensive? I know i just opened up a big ol' can of worms :eek:. But I am planning on replacing my rusty floorboard this fall and having a sprayed in bed liner done.

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#64061 date=1031756592]<br>[quote author=americanhorses link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=0#64060 date=1031756396]<br>I did mine w/Hercluliner, very inexpensive about 60$. 1-1/2 gal. did from under the dash to the tailgate, door jambs and fender flares.<br>Greatly reduced noise :)<br>[/quote]<br><br>How did it do with the heat from exhaust? My Bronco cooks like an oven with the windows down. Don't want to put in heat sheild and carpet, but might be the only choice.<br>[/quote]<br>Forget the exhaust, the heat in the central valley is enough. I was going to paint everything white and throw in carpet squares as needed and run topless in june july and aug.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Just my opinion here, but I think the "best" one that I have seen is Line-X. It is pretty simple to compare, just call each company and ask them to mail you a sample, along with their test reports. I did that and then took their samples through my own gammet of testing.<br><br>I think the Line-x looks and holds up better than all I've seen. Unfortunately it is in fact expensive, but it does Bond right to the metal, not just coat.<br><br>I would check with the manufacturer to see if it will bond over por if you were to coat the be first, which is a good idea, or if it has to bond to bare metal.<br><br>Also, one really good idea is to order POR PATCH. The stuff is an incredible seam sealer. Then just get on your back, clean out every seam under the vehicle and run the patch sealer. When you have that done, do the same on the top side prior to having it lined. Seams are where water collects and does the most damage. The factory sealer dries hard and lets water in over the years.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=8966;start=15#64572 date=1031880998]<br>Just my opinion here, but I think the "best" one that I have seen is Line-X. [/quote]<br><br>yes, i've spent some time at the line-x site and would probably choose that over rhino-lining. right now i think i'm going to just por15 the floorboards and the back is actually in good shape - i may just throw some carpet back there and take everything else out and line it in january when i have the money.<br><br>my soft top comes next week! :)