• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LizardSkin & Durabak

Steve72

The POR-15 with LizardSkin undercoat is the undercoat plan. I am concidering POR-15 followed by lizardskin and followed by Durabak for the interior. I've spoken to both manufactures an they agree it should work (of course no gaarantees). It breaks down to an additional $180 for additional insulation. What does everone think of Durabak over LizardSkin?

LizardsSkin is 0.40 mil thick and remains flexable. Durabak says that coat rubber plastick and many flexable substrates but...

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
I would think you would want to put the lizardskin over the durabake. Lizard skin seems to have a better finnish.

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
It's a good idea, but I'm not sure how it would turn out. I thought of the same thing. I wanted the insulation from the lizard skin and the toughness of a bedliner over it (like durabak). After I applied lizardskin to my bronco, I decided that it would be best to coat the fenderwells with a soft rubber undercoating for extra protection and noise reduction. You might want to think about using POR's hardnose paint over the lizardskin. Let us know how it turns out.

Bronx

ddrass

bronx said:
It's a good idea, but I'm not sure how it would turn out. I thought of the same thing. I wanted the insulation from the lizard skin and the toughness of a bedliner over it (like durabak). After I applied lizardskin to my bronco, I decided that it would be best to coat the fenderwells with a soft rubber undercoating for extra protection and noise reduction. You might want to think about using POR's hardnose paint over the lizardskin. Let us know how it turns out.

Bronx

So Bronx, what do you think of the Lizardskin product then? Do you think it isn't durable enough? What undercoating would you use?

OP
OP
S

Steve72

Yea Bronx how do you like the lizardskin? What do you think of it as an undercoating. The suppor folks at lizardskin say most of there customers use it as an under coat as well as on the interior.

I've decided to try a test piece on the Lizardskin covered with Durabak to see what I think, I'll let you know how the test turns out

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
I think the Lizardskin is durable undercoat for cars by itself. Though I have just applied the material and have not used it in the real world (please keep this in mind), I think it might have problems in the wheelwells over a long period of time on a 4-wheeler. The tech guy at Lizardskin recommended applying a coat of urethane paint over the Lizardskin to protect it from offroad abuse. He also recommended against using truck bed liners, such as durabak, to reduce the chance of fire underneath the body. You loose the fire proofing feature of Lizardskin when you top coat it with a thick flammable truck beadliner. I recommended POR's hardnose paint because it would be a good compromise between the added toughness and flammability. I would talk to POR if you are interested in covering the Lizardskin.

Bronx