• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

location for rear inboard shock mount

chico68

Im doing a frame off resto-mod on a '68. Im in the process of getting the frame prepared for paint. I am welding a wild horses rear inboard shock mount. The problem is that I dont have the rear axle on so I dont know where to wled the mount.

Anybody have measurements to locate the shock mount?

Should I even use the inboard shock mount?

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Without the axle in place, there is no way to tell where the upper mount gets positioned. it all depends on where the shock mounts are on the axle too. on the front/rear of the tube and so on. Unless your really after some serious flex in the suspension then you really dont need the inboard mount. Most dont like the "body roll" they get on the street with the inboards anyway.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Can you hang your leaf springs for a sec & use the center pin as a reference point? Then drop a plumb line & let er rip!

Make sure the springs aren't drooping at the shackle when you measure.

I have to run inboard, unless I cut up my tubs I'm screwed. I really tried hard to not go inboard due to comments made of a less stable ride. After I installed my own inboard shock setup I threw some rancho 9000's on & set them on the stiffest setting. I was pleasantly suprised when I felt no change in the handling or ride. Phew!