• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lock Right Install

ChuckUNC

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
After this weekend I want to lock my front up. Im looking at the Lock Right because its cheap and for the ease of install. However, I currently have a limited slip in the front and I understand that the lock right cant be installed in a limited slip. So, I figure I can find a cheap open carrier but would that negate the ease of installation? With a new carrier do the gears have to be re-setup or can the shims simply be installed back where they were?

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
You will have to set it up. I would buy a Detroit if I were you.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
mxpaz said:
You will have to set it up. I would buy a Detroit if I were you.

I couldn't agree more. I have replaced blown lockrites twice this year in friends rigs. They can not handle power and/or large tires very well. They may be ok with 31's and easy trail riding.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
When you say blown, do you just mean the shear pins? They are easily replaced in the truck. You need a weak link somewhere IMO.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I would look at the Aussie Locker for the front. Alot of good things have been said about them. They are much stronger than a Lockrite and they install in an open carrier. Run about $199 too. Look on Pirate4x4 for reviews on the Aussie Locker. These guys are usually very harsh about things and say good things about the locker.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
iwlbcnu said:
When you say blown, do you just mean the shear pins? They are easily replaced in the truck. You need a weak link somewhere IMO.

No, the shear pins held. The friction disk/gears were broken allowing both axles to slip at the same time.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
I have one front and rear, never had problems and I abuse them hard, my axle shafts go before those. However, I would highly encourage you to do something different in the front, Get selectable, you won't regret it. Turning in 4low locked is a nightmare, and snow driving - forget it. Or the other alternative is to twin stick the t-case so you can have 4 low without having to unlock your hubs.

Just my $.02.

As for the install, your right you need an open carier and then you have to resetup your gears. So your better off running the L/S till you can get a step up. Have fun.

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I have no complaints about my Loc-Rite, but I am running 33's. However the guy I do most of my wheeling with, also has a Loc-Rite in the front. He runs 35" boggers and drives the living crap out of it, pretty much every obstacle at Disney. He usually brakes the cut down F150 inners or a u-joint. He has not had any problems either.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Big Nuf said:
He usually brakes the cut down F150 inners or a u-joint. He has not had any problems either.

yup thats my issue on 35s. (not this bronco but my sploder with a bronck 44 under it). I think they are pretty stout for the money. Though I won't do it again for reasons listed above.