• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lock-Right locker opinions??

CobraBronco

I want to get a locker for the rear of my 72 Bronco. What are people's opinions of the Lock-Right lockers? What are the majority of the people running in the back of their trucks? My truck will get some on road use, but will mainly be used for off roading.

Thanks in advance.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I have the Lock right in the front of mine, the carrier has exploded, both axles have broke, and the Lock right is working. Besides the clanking, I like it. SOrry cant help you with how it performs in the rear. I have a spool.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) I run the d/locker in the rear and a true track in the front only way to fly they dont need any pampering just run them hard and fast good luck with your choice. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
[quote author=wildbill link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151289 date=1057622309]
::) ::) ::) I run the d/locker in the rear and a true track in the front only way to fly they dont need any pampering just run them hard and fast good luck with your choice. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p
[/quote]
For something that gets driven on and off road this is about the perfect setup. The only better way would be selectable lockers.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had a Lock-rite/Powertrax locker in my CJ's dana 44 rear with 33's and it worked very nicely. I beat the heck out of it on rocks and everything else. It is cheaper than a Detroit, but not as sturdy(however i never broke anything with it). If you are a hardcore wheeler and don't do a lot of daily driving I'd go Detroit in rear and Loc-rite or something like that in the front. I have friends that are tough 4 wheelers and have loc-rite front and rear and love them

Good Luck,

Blue71

Blue71

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I've been in a buddy's truck with one in the rear, it sounds like your got rearended when it re-engages. He hasn't had too many problems with it, but my Detroit drives infinitely smoother than that thing ever does. The main difference (other than strength) is the driveability of those lockers. They are extremely loud and bang when they engage which newer Detroits do not do.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151299 date=1057624822]
[quote author=wildbill link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151289 date=1057622309]
[/quote]
For something that gets driven on and off road this is about the perfect setup. The only better way would be selectable lockers.
[/quote]

I have to agree. I also have the true track and detroit setup. It works great. The detroit doesn't make a lot of noise like I had always heard and I drive it on the road more than anything. The first time I heard the popping from the front when offroading it kinda freeked me out but then I found out it supposed to do that when the clutches let go/slip.

But like MXPAZ said, selectable lockers are about the only better thing you put in. But you better have some extra coin to put down for those.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
[quote author=67HalfCab link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151332 date=1057629245]
As soon as I finish some of my other "Projects" on my steed I am planning on one of these for the front. I already have the minispool for the rear.

https://offroadlockers.com/index.html
[/quote]

Thats the same thing as a Lock-Rite and EZ Locker. Different company but the same basic lunchbox locker

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=76BroncoFromHell link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151432 date=1057644697]
[quote author=67HalfCab link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151332 date=1057629245]
As soon as I finish some of my other "Projects" on my steed I am planning on one of these for the front. I already have the minispool for the rear.

https://offroadlockers.com/index.html
[/quote]

Thats the same thing as a Lock-Rite and EZ Locker. Different company but the same basic lunchbox locker
[/quote]

I know and they are cheaper too.

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,
I went with the detroits front and rear.
When a locker or limited slip explodes, you will be replacing more than the locker.
Been there. $900.00 later you will wish you would have spent the extra bucks to start with.

Bronco_Rider

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
[quote author=76BroncoFromHell link=board=5;threadid=19731;start=0#msg151327 date=1057628843]
I've been in a buddy's truck with one in the rear, it sounds like your got rearended when it re-engages. He hasn't had too many problems with it, but my Detroit drives infinitely smoother than that thing ever does. The main difference (other than strength) is the driveability of those lockers. They are extremely loud and bang when they engage which newer Detroits do not do.
[/quote]

I have a lock right in the rear and drive it on the road all the time. I would say one out of every 50 turns it will make some noise but most of the time I never even can tell its there. Plus I liked the ease of installation. It took me longer to pull the axles than to install the locker.

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
I run the Detroit locker in the rear with tru trac in the front also and love it. The ONLY complaint about the rear locker is the 1/2 turn play on the driveshaft. That thing bangs pretty good whenever you put it into gear. It's just a characteristic of the locker.

rstgermaine

That sounds like way too much play - are you sure the gears were set up properly? I've never had an auto trans/locker combo but I have had two std trans/locker combos and neither of them had any knid of excessive rearend gear sloop that I could detect while driving (never thought to see how for I could roll the car back and forth while parked in gear).

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I'm with you. Sounds like a lot of play. I have the detroit in the rear and you can't budge the drive line. I'm running 302/AOD/D20.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I've had lots of different 4x4s over the years, and I have the best combo of front & rear lockers in my EB that I've ever had. See my sig line... ;D