• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lock-Right Locker

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone still using a Lock-Right in the rear of a Bronco? Used to have a factory limited slip but my big foot took care of it and the other parts inside. I am running an open diff and considering putting something back in. I am wondering if I would like the locker or another clutch disc style.

I am not a serious off-roader with it, but am aware of the benefits of having the rear hook up better. The D44 in the front has a factory LS in it already that seems to work ok.

Comments?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
you will get a lot of comments like they aren't very strong, they are noisy, Etc.

Truth is if you don't push it too hard and drive it properly you will hardly know its back there on the street. You will really appreciate the fact tthat you have it when ou need it in the mud or rocks.

But just like anything on a bronco IT WILL BREAK IF YOU PUT ENOUGH TORQUE ON IT, and tall tires and larger engines than stock tend to do that.

Oatmeal

I had an L.A. Locker (before they became Lock-Rite) in the back of my Bronco years ago. A few things to be aware of, they reuse the stock side gears (Aussie comes with new drivers) and if those are worn you WILL experience harshness transitioning from unlocked to locked and vice-versa so, inspect those closely otherwise you'll have to purchase replacements (not that cheap), I would also suggest installing a new cross shaft as it transfers all the torque to the axle shafts and is also used to "wedge" the drivers to engage the "side gears"....a lot of stress there especially since the stock Bronco carrier is only a two pinion version. The Lock-Rite parts themselves are pretty strong, it's the stock carrier that's the weak link......I actually split mine in two. So, if you are using a used carrier, carefully inspect it for cracks. You might think about using a die grinder to remove some of the casting flash around the holes (the ones where the internals are visable through) to reduce stress risers because, that's where mine broke. Just suggesting these precautions because, like you, I also had a heavy foot%). I however switched over to a 31 spline Detroit and a Warn FF'r 13 years ago and the only things I've been able to break were the locking hubs......replaced those with drive flanges. Good luck. BTW I wouldn't have anything but, a rear locker now and the Detroit is so much smoother:)----------Hans

Last edited:

sriha

I will be installing one soon. I also had a limited slip but it was so worn out that I thought I didn't. I have 34s and 3.50 gears. Will be using it on and off road. I will be adjusting my driving habits a little with it to reduce noise but hopefully it will last me awhile.

OP
OP
.94 OR

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I currently have 31x10.5's and 3.50 gears with the stock 3 speed manual. I am tempted to go to a 33x10.5 tire but wonder if the increase torque load on the axle without changing gears will cause issues with a Lock-Right. Not sure I can justify dropping to 4.10's.