• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LOCKER/gears?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Ok! OCBR talked me into some gears since sticking with 33's decided on 4.11's now to lock it up. You guys get to pic it out for me but Im gonna give ya some idea on what I need.

ARB very nice but too expensive

My B'co is say 95% street, mud, dirt flatland.....3 days out of the year rocks and hills(yea OCBR) so needs some street manners.

Detroit?
True Loc?
Lock Right?
spool?

I need to keep it under 1k for front and rear end gears locker the works.
Front is a 44, rear 9" small bearing both with 3:50's(3:54)

Ok have at it!

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
under a K$? and I want a second opinion on the front.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
1K for new gears and lockers front and back???? Ummm, I don't think that is going to happen unless you spool it and do all of the work yourself. And spools suck on the street.

Just save up the coin and go ARBs. Since you are on the street most of the time - they have great street manners.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Just run a lunchbox in the front if you are not offroad all the time. And not much snow in MS. I still think and ARB in the rear for a street rig, but with smaller tires, you should be able to get away with anything in the rear.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
under 1k for both? better start looking at used.I've got over 1k into just the rear ARB and pump. the selectables will give you the best street manners IMO
don't pinch pennies on the stuff that gets you back home AFTER the wheelin.

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Kind of off topic,Detroit in the rear will get you into enough trouble without locking the frt.To lock the frt you will need stronger axles.The stub will prob snap.

muddford

I would say detroit for the rear. and with your lead foot(i saw you wheel)(oh and sorry for the bandaid you had to use)haha. I would upgrade to 31spline axles....for the front arb would be the best....but for the money I would try to find factory llim slip....you said you had factory ltd slip front and rear with 3.50 gears you could sell them to help pay for new lockers--there are always people looking for them....

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I bought Tru-Tracs front and rear, and I'm planning on 4:11's with 33's...same setup as Nyles...If I remember correctly, I ended up getting both Tru-Tracs for under 750

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Detroit in the rear, 31 spline axles would be nice but not totally needed. Keep the stock front LS, maybe some tighter clutch packs. Get thick front gears to use the existing LS. Should be about the most economical.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Cheap=weld the badboys up. When they break go to 60s. Save your pennies. I wish I would have.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i got an aussie up front and open in the rear, i'm happy with it. i'm anxious to get it on some rox and see how it does.

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I would say detroit for the rear. and with your lead foot(i saw you wheel)(oh and sorry for the bandaid you had to use)haha. I would upgrade to 31spline axles....for the front arb would be the best....but for the money I would try to find factory llim slip....you said you had factory ltd slip front and rear with 3.50 gears you could sell them to help pay for new lockers--there are always people looking for them....

If you have LS front and rear and you like it ok. You could always just buy a 4.11 carrier for the front and just transfer your clutches and gears. I ran that set up in my 73 for 15 years. Still run it in the front with no plans to change.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
95% street? Might want to save up for ARBs. That's mine plan since I drive to the trail and think you should plan for the unexpected. I've got stock limited slips in the front and back and I was still getting a some slight rear grab around the corners on tight highway corners. Would not have wanted anything tighter back there especially when the rain started coming down on me. Don't think you see much snow and ice in MS, but that's another situation where I'd like to keep the axles free.
The only think I don't like hearing on the ARBs is the airline o-ring retainer problem with the 9". Do a search and you'll see what Bax and others have found. But no electric or OX in store for the 9" we're stuck with the ARB unless you want to do a 60 in back. :eek: Um, no thanks.
Anyway, I say save up and do one at a time. Doing stuff twice doesn't pay.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I bought Tru-Tracs front and rear, and I'm planning on 4:11's with 33's...same setup as Nyles...If I remember correctly, I ended up getting both Tru-Tracs for under 750

Me too. Plus he said 95% street, so it's a no brainer IMO. ;D

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Long term economics says that ARBs are the way to go. Up front cost is much more (roughly double) what a Detroit is, but figure in the amount of money spent on tires in 5-10 years & the ARBs are cheaper. I figured it out when I put ARBs front & rear in mine & within the first set of tires that I would have bought with a Detroit, I could have put the selectables in & been done with it.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
1k, aussie front, ARB rear, should be about right for you. You can also check the used market. Dont do a Detroit in the rear for 3 days worth of wheeling, get the ARB that way you will be open the other 99% of the time.

Or if you are a real cheap bastard and can come up with some parts laying around....stay open with one third member for the majority of the year and just drop a different third member in for OCBR with a spool or welded gears in it. It isnt but an hour or so to swap members.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nyles...I have a 31 spline mini spool that you can have for the rear if you want, other than wearing the tires is better street manners than the detroit (however I prefer the detroit). I was going to put it in Bradlee's but I bought a complete 3rd member from Jason at OCBR to go in his.

I have setup bearings & race for the D44 if you decide to do it yourself. I would offer to help, and will, just not sure when I would be able to.

Check Ebay for gears for the front, I just bought 4.11 for Bradlee for $50 for his front that were installed and then taken out without having been run, just received yesterday and had pinion bearings with it. I prefer new on the rear.