• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lokar 4r70w shifter

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awright, a few q's coming from a lack of knowledge: 1) What vehicle comes with a 4R70W transmission? 2) Is a center console shifter available for that particular vehicle? 3) Wouldn't a console-mounted stock shifter in a stock console be a wham-bam-thank-you-maam installation?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Winters has a variety of different gates available. Have a look at page 6 here: https://wintersperformance.com/appl...17_Automatic_Transmission_Catalog_Website.pdf The "Rockcrawler" for the Ford OD Autos looks like it might do what Brian describes above?
So the Winters shifter catalog only shows the Rock Crawler gate which is a reverse pattern. But Wide Open Design shows a Rock Gate that's close to what Brian is describing, though it looks like they don't sell it separately. Pic of it on their Winters shifter page: https://www.wideopendesign.com/winters-shifter That pattern is very similar to the stock pattern on my 2023 Tacoma shifter. Looking at my new Winters shifter as I type this, thinking the WOD Rock Gate is a better option.

On the other hand, Brian's version can be achieved with a hacksaw and file.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Awright, a few q's coming from a lack of knowledge: 1) What vehicle comes with a 4R70W transmission? 2) Is a center console shifter available for that particular vehicle? 3) Wouldn't a console-mounted stock shifter in a stock console be a wham-bam-thank-you-maam installation?
1) Lots of Fords. There's a transmission write-up on here somewhere that probably lists them. In the case of early Broncos a favorite is the one out of a 1996-2021 Explorer 5.0 which has the correct bell housing. In my case, an AWD version which makes my Atlas a direct bolt-on. Are you looking to do an automatic transmission swap? It's a topic for a bazillion threads on here. I know, I've burned a lot of hours reading them!

2-3) I have no idea what kind of shifter the Explorers had, though I'm guessing a column shifter. Which I most definitely don't want. The Winters shifter looks a little too industrial grade for some people I suppose, but as far as I'm concerned it's a work of industrial art. Simple, super well made, no plastic bits to break. Creating my own console is part of the fun of the install.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
So the Winters shifter catalog only shows the Rock Crawler gate which is a reverse pattern. But Wide Open Design shows a Rock Gate that's close to what Brian is describing, though it looks like they don't sell it separately. Pic of it on their Winters shifter page: https://www.wideopendesign.com/winters-shifter That pattern is very similar to the stock pattern on my 2023 Tacoma shifter. Looking at my new Winters shifter as I type this, thinking the WOD Rock Gate is a better option.

On the other hand, Brian's version can be achieved with a hacksaw and file.
Same physical gate, different stickers on the sides.

i-VxmGnTn.jpg

i-9XdLNbB.jpg

$16 + ride for the Winters gate:

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Gotta fit the console which doesn't make it a "wham-bam... thank you..."