• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lokar AOD Kickdown

vap13

I know,this has been asked many times before but after doing a search I did'nt see any pictures of the cable hookup to the TV shaft on the AOD. I installed the bracket on the second pan bolt back from the shift lever as per instructions but it looks to close and below to where the TV lever would attach to the TV shaft. Also the TV lever I have does not look like the one in the instructions. I do have the AOD Hi - Tek kickdown kit. Am I missing something here or am I just a dumbass? If you have pictures or any help I would appreciate it. Also if you have a pic of the carb cable hookup, but I think I can handle that. If I get this done I will finally be able to fire this thing up for the first time.
Thanks - Paul

Attachments

• DSC03766.JPG
    DSC03766.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03762.JPG
    DSC03762.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 109

Hazegray

I have an AOD, but a basterized cable in it from PO. I'm sure you understand that it isn't a kickdown cable...VERY important to set it up right or you WILL burn out that AOD. Ask me how I know the $2,100 question :(

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
For whatever reason that escapes me now (maybe the same as yours) I ran mine from the front. I think my dilema also involved the shifter cable. I also did not like the angle of the arm etc. I built a small support bracket and attached it to the bolt hole in the front of the AOD. It pivots to make it easy to adjust if need be. I set it once and have left it alone.

The picture looking back shows the shifter linkage.

The last pic shows the carb mount.

Attachments

• AOD link02.JPG
    AOD link02.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 115
  • AOD link03.JPG
    AOD link03.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 115
  • AOD link04.JPG
    AOD link04.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
V

vap13

Thanks for the the info and the pics, does it matter which way the cable comes from? I thought the directions said from the back if you have column shift and from the front if you have floor shift. I know its important to adjust it right but my problem is I need to run this engine I just rebuilt at 2000RPM for about 20 minutes and i'm not sure how I can do both at the same time.
Thanks for your help - Paul

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
vap13 said:
Thanks for the the info and the pics, does it matter which way the cable comes from? I thought the directions said from the back if you have column shift and from the front if you have floor shift. I know its important to adjust it right but my problem is I need to run this engine I just rebuilt at 2000RPM for about 20 minutes and i'm not sure how I can do both at the same time.
Thanks for your help - Paul

The transmission doesnt care, it works the same in either position. But I think the reason for mounting with regard to the shifter configuration would be to prevent interference with the shifter brackets, rods and linkage.

I have a floor shifter. I imagine if you are running a column shifter the rod would have to come in from the front ergo the TV cable has to come in from the back.

On mine (new engine and trans) I broke in the engine first. I would think it wouldnt matter. On the other hand, I lost my OD gear. But I think mine was more a result of the carb base bracket shifting around and changing my pressure. To be on the safe side (and absent advice to the contrary from a trans guru on the board!) I would try to establish some level of pressure if you are going to run it at 2000. Too much is better than none.

One last point: make it easy on yourself, install a pressure gauge on the TV line. My gauge is mounted directly on the TV port on the passenger side. IT can also be easily remoted to the compartment. But once it's set, it would be a gauge you would rarely have to check. Just make sure your carb bracket doesnt shift around!
Good luck
J. R.

Attachments

• Bronco TV 006.jpg
    Bronco TV 006.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
V

vap13

Thanks JR, I'll work on it this weekend and let you know how I make out.

Paul