• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lokar floor shifter install problems...

trentturner27

i have the cable operated floor shifter for the 4r70w. i have been messing with this on and off for over a week and im starting to get frustrated. the first issue i was having was clearance issues with the transmission shift arm and cable bracket with the front drive shaft. the instructions say to mount it to the pan bolts but i don't think that will clear at all. then i read where a couple guys used the two bosses just to the rear or the arm to mount the cable. that took care of the cable being in the way. i noticed how long the lokar arm is and i feel it will be too close to the driveshaft so i tried to reuse the factory explorer arm. i got everything lined up good and started trying to adjust everything so the shifter and trans were in sync. i think the arm on the trans is too short or cable is coming in at wrong angle or someting. if i set them in sync in neutral the transmission will get to park and first before the shifter will. i guess im going to drop the pan and install the lokar arm but im concerned about driveshaft clearance when suspension is compressed. if anyone has installed this shifter i could really use some advice. some pics of how the cable is on the transmission and how the shift arm is clocked would be great too. hope that made sense... thanks a lot

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bronco Driver mag had a nice write up on a Lokar shifter install a few issues back.
Issue #57 page 68.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
My thought is Everything fits when I use my Miller 350, and a die-grinder.....what ever you do....the. instruction sheet....does not work to soak up BLOOD...ALSO....DON'T ZIP-TIE ANYTHING TO THE DRIVESHAFT......SO I'M TOLD.....

OP
OP
T

trentturner27

bronconut, I looked up the article I think that's for the transmission mounted shifter but it is a good write up.

twotalesdad, I know I can make it work one way or another. I was really hoping someone had made it work without hacking it up.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I did... Mine's mounted to the oil pan bolts. I had to put a spacer btw the pan surface and the bracket as the lip on the pan was in the way.

I can't remember if I shortened the bracket a little to move it closer to the pan (away from the D/S). I also adjusted the angle of the bracket (bent it) some to move it away from the D/S more. I wheel alot, I wheel hard, I have a lot of flex and it clears.

Hope this helps. If you need a pic, shoot me an email or text me and I can try to get a pic for ya.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
I did... Mine's mounted to the oil pan bolts. I had to put a spacer btw the pan surface and the bracket as the lip on the pan was in the way.

I can't remember if I shortened the bracket a little to move it closer to the pan (away from the D/S). I also adjusted the angle of the bracket (bent it) some to move it away from the D/S more. I wheel alot, I wheel hard, I have a lot of flex and it clears.

I agree w/this. You need to use the LOKAR tranny lever to get the geometry correct. If you think you need some more clearance simply bend the tranny arm in a little bit.

Mr. Mikes 74

Loc.
Long Island

Hope this helps. If you need a pic, shoot me an email or text me and I can try to get a pic for ya.

nvrstuk can you send me a pic of your set up? I am also having the same problem with my AOD cable shifter and drive chaft clearance.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
shoot me your email addy...