• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lokar linkage help for 4r70w swap

desertguy76

Loc.
Norco, California
Finishing up my 4r70w swap and installed Lokar shift linkage to my flaming river steering column. Is there any tricks to getting the column indicator to be in better alignment with trans. Right now they are very short shifts and reverse is ending up in the A in Park. Is it possible to get them to match up perfectly? I messed with it for quite some time Saturday and got it a little better but not much. I am wondering if I need to lengthen the linkage possibly. If anybody has experienced this and has some tricks I would appreciate it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I had the Ididit column, which is Chevy based. I was never happy with how the indicator lined up with the tranny gear position.

Best was place the tranny in Neutral and position the indicator in same. No matter how you adjusted it, you would gain on one side and loose on the other.

Sorry to be negative Ned, but that was my experience.

OP
OP
D

desertguy76

Loc.
Norco, California
I had the Ididit column, which is Chevy based. I was never happy with how the indicator lined up with the tranny gear position.

Best was place the tranny in Neutral and position the indicator in same. No matter how you adjusted it, you would gain on one side and loose on the other.

Sorry to be negative Ned, but that was my experience.

Thanks I was kind of afraid this might be the case. I will try that this weekend

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Finishing up my 4r70w swap and installed Lokar shift linkage to my flaming river steering column. Is there any tricks to getting the column indicator to be in better alignment with trans. Right now they are very short shifts and reverse is ending up in the A in Park. Is it possible to get them to match up perfectly? I messed with it for quite some time Saturday and got it a little better but not much. I am wondering if I need to lengthen the linkage possibly. If anybody has experienced this and has some tricks I would appreciate it.

Figure out if the shifter indicator is over or under shooting the mark, and adjust the length of the shift arm on the trans accordingly. Longer arm will require more throw from the Lokar... My experience in getting the B&M shifter working was that the shift arm needed to be straight up or down when in neutral, otherwise things didn't seem to line up in the rest of the positions. I went pretty far overboard figuring it out, but it worked out perfectly.

OP
OP
D

desertguy76

Loc.
Norco, California
Figure out if the shifter indicator is over or under shooting the mark, and adjust the length of the shift arm on the trans accordingly. Longer arm will require more throw from the Lokar... My experience in getting the B&M shifter working was that the shift arm needed to be straight up or down when in neutral, otherwise things didn't seem to line up in the rest of the positions. I went pretty far overboard figuring it out, but it worked out perfectly.

Thanks.. Right now it is way under the mark which is why I was thinking maybe I needed a longer arm. Do you think it matters where the column mount is clocked. That one is going to be a PITA to clock with brake booster so trying to avoid messing with that at this time.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Thanks.. Right now it is way under the mark which is why I was thinking maybe I needed a longer arm. Do you think it matters where the column mount is clocked. That one is going to be a PITA to clock with brake booster so trying to avoid messing with that at this time.

Is this a lokar column shifter? I’m not familiar with that product, but what I did din was that the pitch between positions is different to account for the swing of the arm.

BanditBronco

In my experience with the 4r70w shift pattern because of the radius it rotates on as well as the way the detents are on the internal shaft almost all of the gears have a different "Length" shift. For example I know Park to reverse is rather large in comparison to say 1-3rd. So the only way to get them to actually match up with be to measure how much movement you receive on the column side as you shift between the gears. The transmission side of things shouldn't change after you get it dialed in. It specifically needs a correct amount of movement to shift into each gear correctly. So to my understanding, you would need a custom selector pattern to match up with the distances created by the transmission. I pulled the pan when making mine to I could make sure that every shift was falling exactly in the detent so I wouldn't accidentally go into the wrong gear.