• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long Block 351

geofocusinc

I am planning to upgrade my engine with a new version.
I currently have an 83 351w (which is done and was already bored 30 over 20 years ago, white smoke, leaking main rear seal, low vacuum, and a stuck distributor), 3-speed manual, and 32inch tires on 3.5 gears and a 2-inch body lift.
I found a stock rebuilt long block for a good price and I would rather spend money on an aftermarket EFI than more HP. Drivability and starts are the most important things to me.

If I get the latest model 351 block, what will I be able to swap over?
I have good clearance right now with the original front dress and rad, so I would like to keep all of that. Will the oil pan swap over, or did that change?
Will I need new tappet covers with the roller block?

What intake and EFI should I be considering? Fitech, snipper, are there others brands avalible?
Anyone tried the newwer 2 barrel Fitech?
What about fuel tanks?
Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, all the way to 1997 will work.

The only thing I can think of is the dipstick went from in pan to in block. That is pluggable with a tiny little 3/8" welch plug (mini freeze plug). Tap it in the hole and it will be sealed with no metal chips that you get from the drill and tap plugging method.

The clutch pivot hole may not be there or it may not be drilled and tapped. The 5.0 fix works the same on the 351.

The rest is swap and go.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
What hood and or body lift can determine manifold. 351w lightning lower intake and explorer upper stuff is the good efi option.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Induction will depend on performance desires, hood profile and body lift. Appearance and budget as well.

You know your old combo works, that would be my starting point.

OP
OP
geofocusinc

geofocusinc

Yes, all the way to 1997 will work.

The only thing I can think of is the dipstick went from in pan to in block. That is pluggable with a tiny little 3/8" welch plug (mini freeze plug). Tap it in the hole and it will be sealed with no metal chips that you get from the drill and tap plugging method.

The clutch pivot hole may not be there or it may not be drilled and tapped. The 5.0 fix works the same on the 351.

The rest is swap and go.

What was tthe change in 97? and which parts dont fit as well?
I change check with the builder about the block year.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 302 ran a little longer, last year was 2001.
Not a bad run for an engine that was introduced in 1962.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I built a Bronco for my cousin this past spring. He wanted a good motor with a little more power and torque than the 302 and with EFI included.

We found a Crate 351W Motor. I think it was a Jasper at around $1800-2000 if I remember correctly. Direct replacement for a later 1996 Bronco - F4TE Block. It had the Roller Cam and Lifters, 1-Piece Rear Main Seal and a Warranty. Very solid foundation for a nice engine.

We ended up adding WH Headers and a 2-into-1 Exhaust and a Flowmaster Super 50 Series Muffler. Ended up being a very nice exhaust system.

Up top we added an Edelbrock Performer Intake and the Holley Sniper EFI with their Hyperspark Ignition as well. Complete system and pretty much plug and play.

We also added the Explorer serpentine system and a larger Radiator.

Overall, a very nice running truck and virtually Bullet Proof. I would recommend this combo again.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I built a Bronco for my cousin this past spring. He wanted a good motor with a little more power and torque than the 302 and with EFI included.

We found a Crate 351W Motor. I think it was a Jasper at around $1800-2000 if I remember correctly. Direct replacement for a later 1996 Bronco - F4TE Block. It had the Roller Cam and Lifters, 1-Piece Rear Main Seal and a Warranty. Very solid foundation for a nice engine.

We ended up adding WH Headers and a 2-into-1 Exhaust and a Flowmaster Super 50 Series Muffler. Ended up being a very nice exhaust system.

Up top we added an Edelbrock Performer Intake and the Holley Sniper EFI with their Hyperspark Ignition as well. Complete system and pretty much plug and play.

Overall, a very nice running truck and virtually Bullet Proof. I would recommend this combo again.

I have never seen a jasper engine at that price point. No way I would build or buy flat tapped. F4TE all the way.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok. I found the info on the 351W crate motor. it is a replacement engine for a 1996 Ford Bronco which has Mass Air and a F4TE Block.

Ordered from Rock Auto - Famous Brand - part# DFKJ - Long Block - $1869.79

After taxes and delivery it's right at $2030.00

This ended up being a Very solid foundation for a nice 351W build.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Ok. I found the info on the 351W crate motor. it is a replacement engine for a 1996 Ford Bronco which has Mass Air and a F4TE Block.

Ordered from Rock Auto - Famous Brand - part# DFKJ - Long Block - $1869.79

After taxes and delivery it's right at $2030.00

This ended up being a Very solid foundation for a nice 351W build.

I kind of did the same thing 30 years ago but with an ATK Windsor long block...
Long term review is great.

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS

Did all of this fit under a stock hood? I have a 1” body lift. It do not want to change my hood.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will fit with a 1" Body Lift with a stock hood. The original Factory Air Cleaner has the most clearance. Other Air Cleaners with a Drop Base will also fit with ~2" filter.