• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long Tube Header Install Tips

jon705

Went to install a set of long tube headers that I picked up at the swap meet last weekend and am running into a bit of trouble with fitment on the driver side. Things like dipstick tube, steering shaft, etc are getting in the way. Anybody out there have tips for snaking this through? Passenger side should hopefully go easier. Two of the tubes on that side are removable for starter clearance.

Thanks in advance!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Many times you have to unbol the motor mounts and jack the engine up to get them in also if you can it may help to remove the dipstick tube. The headers were probably designed for the stock pass side dipstick so you may need to tweak the dipstick.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I had to take a tub bender and bend the dipstick away from the headers.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
wheni installed my thorleys, i had mine on a lift and had to remove my D44 yoke to get them in. my hedman elites i can fish down from the top if i remove my master cylinder and valve cover.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
neither side is easy with the long tubes. At least for me. I absolutely could not get either header out . I was trying to remove them before I pulled the engine. This is the second time I have had the engine out of mine and both times I had to take the headers out after the engine, then make sure they were back in before the engine. I would try what broncnaz said about the engine mounts and move the engine around. Good luck amigo !!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not to hijack but, would it be easier to install them on the engine before putting the engine in?

Kinda depends on the headers for long tubes I'd say Usually not. But it is usually easier to have them sitting in place before dropping a engine in.

OP
OP
J

jon705

Many times you have to unbol the motor mounts and jack the engine up to get them in also if you can it may help to remove the dipstick tube. The headers were probably designed for the stock pass side dipstick so you may need to tweak the dipstick.

Yup. I have an 87 5.0 block and the dipstick is on the driver side so it needs to feed through the header tubes. The dipstick doesn't appear to be removable either. Is it pressed in, or bolted on the inside of the pan? This morning when I wrote my original message I tried to slip the headers over the dipstick tube while snaking them through the frame rail...which is a frustrating and impossible puzzle!

This afternoon on my lunch break I decided to cut out a small section of the header mounting surface so that the dipstick tube would fit through - it worked!

I didn't have to jack up the engine at all, but the corner of the motor mount on the driver side was hitting the header preventing it from bolting flush. I cut off that motor mount corner and it fits good. Should be able to bolt it snug tonight and start on the passenger side.

Thanks for the quick reply!

OP
OP
J

jon705

I had to take a tub bender and bend the dipstick away from the headers.

I was close to doing that but decided to cut out a piece of the header mounting surface. Fits good...on to the passenger side!

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
Yup. I have an 87 5.0 block and the dipstick is !I didn't have to jack up the engine at all, but the corner of the motor mount on the driver side was hitting the header preventing it from bolting flush. I cut off that motor mount corner and it fits good. Should be able to bolt it snug tonight and start on the passenger side.

I used a come-along and a torch and heated the tubes alittle to clear the mount

OP
OP
J

jon705

Well the passenger side was not as easy as I anticipated (It's never easy is it?). Although different things are getting in the way on this side the clearance issues are the same - the headers are so close to sliding through it's frustrating. :) I think I may need to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine to get this side done. Probably will also need to plan shaving that little corner off the motor mount on this side too. If nothing else I'm at least learning patience. ;D

OP
OP
J

jon705

Jacked up the engine and it's still a no-go on the passenger side. Closer, but the tubes are hitting the frame when I feed from the top down. Any suggestions?

markperry

Bronco Guru
Jacked up the engine and it's still a no-go on the passenger side. Closer, but the tubes are hitting the frame when I feed from the top down. Any suggestions?

I fed mine up from the bottom, did you try that? Take the starter out to give yourself some more room.

OP
OP
J

jon705

I fed mine up from the bottom, did you try that? Take the starter out to give yourself some more room.

Tried that. The trans dipstick and cooler lines are in the way. Things sometimes work out when I step away from it for a while so hopefully tonight I'll have some success.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Drink a beer when your setting there trying too figure it out,,,,,it works for me!

OP
OP
J

jon705

Long tubes now shorties!

Well after attempting to snake the passenger side through for an afternoon I gave up. Did some measuring and it would have been too tight even if I could have got them in. The starter would have been in the way.

So I decided to finish a project I started a couple years ago and am going to finish welding up a set of shorties that I bought. They were made for a Mustang so the passenger side dumped right into the frame. I cut the collector off and welded it back so that it dumps just above the frame.

Both side headers are bolted up and I've been adjusting the exhaust pipe route from the collector back for the past couple days. Again, driver side is no problem as the angle is about the same as with stock manifolds. Passenger side is already testing my patience!

OP
OP
J

jon705

Well I fired her up this morning with the new exhaust system in place - sounds nice! :cool: This was also a great project that forced me to fix some exhaust routing issues in the previous system...before I had a welder. It sounds better AND looks better.

Now on to installing the 1" WH body lift that arrived Tuesday. Gotta get it done and get back on the road before Broncorama next week.