• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long tube vs. Shorty

stlbl

Good read but I'd be curious to see what the cast exhaust manifolds did as well

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
In the article it states that the shorties had the exact same peak and curve as the 5.0 exhaust manifolds.

In my experience there are a few cast iron exhaust manifolds that with a little work can flow as good as shorties. Very few shorties flow that well, at least compared to long tubes.

svobronco

I felt the loss of torque when I went from long tubes to shorties. An unfortunate reality with a 700R4 tho

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Seems like it's always about fit... be nice to have the advantage of everything bolting in!! :)

On my "stock" suspension Bronco back from '76 till about 1994 I ran long tubes, never hit a thing on the headers when wheeling.

Converted to soft long travel springs and all of a sudden I could go more places and I hit my headers a couple times... had some major dents in them.

Swapped over to short tube headers and never hit them again when wheeling...

Moral here for many of us is we run what works, fits and what isn't heavy (cast manifolds), and what doesn't crack (stock 302/351 manifolds)

1 1/2 years back with more suspension mod's I still run the same JBA shorties but have had to cut the collectors off both sides to make them fit. My Dana 60 yoke had 1 1/2" of interference with the shorties... and that was before the 90deg elbow was welded in ...PSD downpipe fit perfect there so both sides are modified, re-welded and re-coated. Couldn't even imagine trying to work around long tubes now...I'd have to run them out the hood! :)

IF you can fit them, they add some HP/torque no doubt

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Good tuned headers are free power everywhere in the power band. Do what you have to make them fit! (if you are ok with a little extra noise and heat)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Does crushing the tubes count "as fit"!!?? lol

:)

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I noticed a nice seat-of-the-pants gains with my Fox when I went from BBK eq shorties 1_5/8 to BBK 1_5/8" long tubes.

In one of the Ford books it stated the Fox tubular manifolds were good for 7 hp over the stock irons. However, I believe the 351 iron manifolds flow better than the 302 irons.

rmk57

I think the engine was over carburated for a 400 hp motor. It may work on a dyno but in real world street driving it sure wouldn't be my choice. Also 1 5/8 headers would be a better choice for a street engine.