• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Look what I got today......

JHBronco

Loc.
Jackson Hole
Got my 351W today. The bronco is coming along. Currently I am dealing with the body. Here is what needs to be replace-

1. Everything. Not kidding. Pretty much the whole body from the bed forward to the grille. Even the bed will have to be replaced. Not only that, all floor channels and braces. Currently, I am bolting everything together to get the fit right with 1/4 inch bolts. Then I will seal, remove bolts, and rivet with 1/4 rivets. Not fun!

Engine2.jpg

engine1.jpg

Current pic of project "Donkey Kicked"-

Cluster.jpg

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
What a nice looking engine.

You should throw a barbecue and celebrate....

;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Sweet! I think that the engine is the most exciting part (for me, anyway).

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Wow, that engine is a beauty! Good luck on the rest! Keep posting photos, it inspires me to get started on mine! Looks like you have the new tires waiting to go under it, thats a start!

rooster4089

Loc.
Dothan Alabama
sweet motor, I have been in your shoes with all the replacement metal. I thought of burning mine several times. I had to replace everything, I did get to keep the bronco emblems though. But my son stepped on them and broke tham too. Ain't that nice.

OP
OP
J

JHBronco

Loc.
Jackson Hole
I have good and bad days on the project. I am pretty discouraged right now, been tough with the body in the shape it is in.

I will say that getting the engine delivered and mounted on the stand helped my attitude. When I am ready to pour gas on the body and light it up because I feel it is the antichrist, I glance over at the shiney new engine and smile.

Sorry, no trades for a 302! That's what came out of it! I did get a good deal on the engine, but am going to replace a few things. Heads are stock cast iron. Going to replace with Aluminum GT-40's. Top it off with a set of headers and a 600 cfm carb and wala- 320 hp 351W.

Waiting on some kingpin bearings and races, then the diffs will go back on and I will have a rolling chassis. Other goodies include-

front disks, power steering, power brakes, 2 1/2 suspension lift topped off with 31's. Building a nice daily driver and weekend backcountry warrior.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Looks good, I am still in hot water for new years so can't wait till the wife lets me outa the dog house and back at the bronco

Heus33

Bronco Guru
... Heads are stock cast iron. Going to replace with Aluminum GT-40's. Top it off with a set of headers and a 600 cfm carb and wala- 320 hp 351W.

Why not add a nice cam while your at it and really open that sucker up! :cool:

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Hey I know that engine (I think). Looks an awful lot like the Ford Racing M-6007-S58 crate motor - 250hp, 350 torque. If so I have one that I've yet to fire up... Soon though... soon.

OP
OP
J

JHBronco

Loc.
Jackson Hole
Ford Racing Crate, got it from Jegs, around 3,000.00 delivered. For the money, I think it is about the best deal out there. Plus, I have dealt with Ford Racing before and know they are solid and make a quality product. Engine came complete except for carb. I really like the valve covers and polished intake.

gdburgess

Loc.
Tucson
I bought the same engine, but through Ford -- they drop ship it to the local dealer so no shipping -- I paid 2600 after negotiating with the parts department a bit. only thing i had to do is replace the oil pan, it didn't clear the front diff. went with the 7 quart moroso from wild horses --

OP
OP
J

JHBronco

Loc.
Jackson Hole
How does it run? Enough power? I am at high altitude, so I am going to lose about 20%. Are you happy with the engine? It does only have 250 ponies, BUT it also has 350 Ft pounds of torque, which is pretty damn good. BTW, might replace the cam to a roller. The block it roller compatible.

The only issue I have is that the Tech department said if I changed heads to the GT-40's, I would have to use a Performer RPM manifold and roller rockers. They said the regular Performer wouldn't fit. Also, not sure why they said I had to use roller rockers. As long as the clearances are in spec, standard rockers should work fine. I would go rollers anyway, but thought this was odd. Also, they said if I went to an Edelbrock head, I would also have to use the RPM's instead of the regular Performer. Seems odd. This is not a high performance engine and is designed for truck use with lots of torque. Hell, compression is only 8.5:1. Could easily shave a head and get 9.0:1. Decsions, decisions.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I guess the polished intake is a new thing. I decided with mine that I'm keeping it "sealed" meaning no cam/heads/etc until I decide to swap to fuel injection. I do need to swap my oil pan - it sits really close to the trac bar. Ford Racing's tech line is a little hit and miss. They are right on the money with certain things but then they'll tell you to pull the flywheel off and throw it in the garbage. There are people on several different forums using that flywheel with no problem so I'm going to keep it and hope it works for me.

Anyway congrats on the purchase... I'm getting anxious to fire mine up, and it'll probably happen relatively soon. I'll post up when that happens.