• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking 4 Advice (Heads/Cam/Torque Converter/ignition/gears)

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright I am looking for some advice on a good head/cam/TQ/ignition combination/gear combo for my rig. Here is what I am doing...I am building this Bronco as a 99% family wagon to cruise in, some hiway, mostly town, will see its fair share of mileage.
This is a full rebuild so everything is being gone through, I want it straight off the show room floor dependable (better) for my wife to drive. What I am looking for is daily dependable, decent mileage, with a fair amount of power (won't be racing it but would like some passing power), able to cruise on the hiway at 65 no problem.

Currently have the following:
stock 76 chassis
C4
3.50 open gears

Will be putting:
reworked heads (need suggestions)
new cam (need suggestions to go with heads)
New Dist (to go with efi)
Rebuilding C4
Rebuilding D20
New TQ (need suggestions based on driving)
EFI SD (have) or MAF (might convert if needed to for cam)
Long tube headers (hedman from jet-hot) and 2 into 1 2.5 or 2.25 exhaust
upgraded steering (bc or stone crusher)
3.5 WH or Duff or Tom's Lift
33 BFG's
Centech wiring
Ryan's EFI Harness
wife in the driver seat, 2 kids in back

Needs:
cruise at 65 on highway without a problem
passing power
occasional 4wheel in inclement weather but 99% street
sound good
daily drivability
this is not a rock crawler

Any and all suggestions are welcome...

horseman

Heads alum if you can AFR 165 would be best
Gears 4.11 search Bronco Gear Calculator
Ignition stock dura-spark
Cam after you have finalized EVERY thing ( tire size / trany / weight / gears /header size /torq converter stall) call any cam mfg and tell them ALL your info and they will recomend the best cam for your Intended purpose.

Last edited:

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D You will want 4:11 gears and you can run 70 all day long and pass well. On the cam call the cam co. you like and tell them what you want from the cam and what other goodies you have and they will come up with a good choice. I would run a Erson cam RV or TQ. call 775-283-0359 or www.mrgaskit.com good luck and have fun.%) %) %) Bill %) :cool: ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You'll get all kinds of suggestions here. I pretty much agree with the other post here.
Heads if you can afford aftermarket then go for it try to stay with 1.90/1.60 valves. Stock heads are fine but I would install larger valves SS 1.90/1.60 and screw in studs for the rocker arms.
Cam choice is not based on heads but more on how you will drive it and what you want it to do as wildbill said call the companies most RV type cams will do what you need. You also need to decide on gearing before ordering a cam I know you didnt mention gearing but you will loose some lowend with 3.50 gears and 33in tires and you will help the C-4 live a little longer with better gearing. I run that combo with a NP435 and it works out pretty well.
Cant really suggest a ignition as you are pretty limited when going with EFI I'd stay stock there just get some good wires.
For exhuast 2.25 is all thats needed with a mild 302 hiway cruiser. the 2.50 setup usually looses some lowend power.
I would also suggest swapping gears 3.73 or 3.93 to help keep the RPM's down a little. 3.73's are usually not really worth swapping in because they change very little,but I would love to try them. So 3.93 or 4.11's would be the best choice to keep the lowend power.
For Torque converter Stock is all you need you could go with a RV type but they are usually pretty close to stock anyways(within 100-300 rpm stall speed) so your paying for a name more than any differeance.
Not much else I can suggest. I'm personnaly not a big fan of stonecrusher or other types of hiem joint steering setups for street vehicles mainly because you cant lube them and they are exposed to the elements. I dont doubt there strenght but just how long will they last on a daily driver? Also I dont know if you go through inspections to register your vehicle but the DMV may frown on them if you do as they are not DOT legal. I'd go with a stock type tie rod setup but opt for the T style setup.
My 73 gets 14-16 mpg at 75mph with a single plane manifold and a carb. You might eek out a few more MPG with EFI some guys do pick up some mpg. But some dont.