• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking at buying this '70 Bronco in Portland, OR

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I have not had a Bronco before but have been looking and want expert opinions (and others too) on one I am looking at. I am deployed overseas right now and cannot go look at it myself but it seems to be a decent deal for the price and issues with it.

I don't want one for crawling or serious off-road really, but something I can take hunting, camping, to trail heads and tool around town in. I don't have a lot of time to tear one down and work on it for months at a time so I would like one that I can spend a little time and money getting it into decent shape and continuing the process over time.

I live in WA and found this one outside of Portland, OR for $4200. It's in my price range and seems like it might fit my criteria. Info known about it:

Rebuilt 302 in '08 with only 100 miles on it. It runs. converted 3 speed to floor. About 4 dings/dents and a hole that needs repaired where florr shifter installed. No known locker or spool. Tires- 31x10 50R15T BFG Mud Terrain installed at rebuilt engine timeframe. Owner paid $1000 for tires and centerline rims. Owner is daughter of original owner and owner does not want it as father is no longer around.

It will need a paint job and repairs to some body parts but since I have limited knowledge of what is/isn't a good deal, I thought I would post here and see what advice I could get.

***UPDATE*** 20MAY10

What I know after a few more emails: both frornt floors need to be replaced as they are rusted pretty bad. The engine looks pretty clean but parts of the compartment are dirty. Engine has Edlebrock heads and a lot of newer, clean parts. Rear seats are ok for now and the rear bed area has your typical scratches and a little rust where the wheel wells meet the bed. BFG MT's are in good shape with lots of wear left on them and there is no roll cage. Extra parts include a complete dash assembly, 1 set of fender flares, the rear hatch handle and lock set that do work and various other parts that look like they came off the rig. Owner said t drives straight.

What doesn't work: Heater, some gauges and the brake lights. Owner does not give any information as to why parts do not work.

Last edited:

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Welcome to the forum.....and thank you for what you're doing over there! As far as the Bronco goes, you should at least try to get some detailed pictures of it....I see you may have tried to do that with your last edit of this post....but I'm not seeing them. If you're having trouble, you can send them to me and I'll post them for you. Also, we should see if there are any members up in Portland that would be willing to go check it out for you.....pictures never do Bronco's justice...good or bad. Good luck!

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Here it is.....

Attachments

• Borno 003.jpg
    Borno 003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Borno 004.jpg
    Borno 004.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 120
  • bronco 001.jpg
    bronco 001.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 115
  • bronco 002.jpg
    bronco 002.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 114
  • bronco 004.jpg
    bronco 004.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
OP
OP
MTBronc

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
That is the one. I have 6 pictures total of it so Airbur if you send me your email or let me know if I can send them to you on here somehow, I will do that. Thank you guys for all the help; I am new to this forum stuff and you guys are awesome for helping and caring so much.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to the site..! Someone I'm sure will check it out for ya

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I suggest you have the owner lift up the floor mats and take some pics.....you can see quite a bit of rust where the tunnel cover goes. Also take pics inside the engine compartment and in the rear.

OP
OP
MTBronc

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
You are the man airbur. Thanks for the great support with this. I already asked to see some the pictures you described so I am just waiting now. That rust where the tunnel cover goes does have me worried as I have no idea how intensive it can be to fix that.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Welcome!

There must be someone close enough to take a long eyed look at this. Sounds pricey to me but then again I am stingy.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
It looks really good but sometimes it's hard to tell from pictures. I wouldn't worry about rusty floors but you need to check the rockers, door posts, quarter panels, windshield frame, cowl area, and frame. Hopefully someone can verify these areas are good. If so I'd say go for it.

Thanks for keeping us safe and keep your head down over there.

OP
OP
MTBronc

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I suggest you have the owner lift up the floor mats and take some pics.....you can see quite a bit of rust where the tunnel cover goes. Also take pics inside the engine compartment and in the rear.

I got some pictures back and the floor will need to be replaced. It is quite rusted. Engince compartment looks better than a lot I have seen out there in this price range but not as good as the trailer queens. There is no roll cage at all and the rear interior has some surface rust in two spots that I can see and a lot of your typical scratches.

Extra parts include a new dash, a set of unpainted fender flares and a bunch of old stuff that came off it in the rebuild and over time.

Any comments on how costly a repair the floor will be?

Amac70

ME
if you need someone to go look at this for you i believe it is right around the corner from my house.

OP
OP
MTBronc

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
if you need someone to go look at this for you i believe it is right around the corner from my house.

That would be awesome! I am still undecided about it, mostly due to not being able to inspect it myself and what the amount of money would be to get it where it would be a good base to start dumping money into it over the long run. One if the biggest concerns I have is the cost to paint it someday. Do I get it and at some point pay to have it painted the black I want or wait and try and find one that I don't need to paint... I digress.

I will send you a message to your account here or an email to you directly if you would prefer to set that up. I just got an email from the owner with her number and the fateful words that "someone is coming to look at it today..." Let me know how you would like to set it up and I will make it happen. You are the Hero of the Day my friend!

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I am also available to look at it later this evening so if something comes up and AMAC70 cant make it let me know you can reach at 9715067673 that one has been on craigslist for about a year off and on and the price has been going down quit a bit.
John

OP
OP
MTBronc

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Almost there...

Made an offer and had to go up $50 to meet their demands. Now I just have to get my father down there to give her the cash and pick it up! One step closer to a lifelong mess of busted knuckles and fun...

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Made an offer and had to go up $50 to meet their demands. Now I just have to get my father down there to give her the cash and pick it up! One step closer to a lifelong mess of busted knuckles and fun...

Great news! Keep us posted on the progress!