• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

looking at getting a soft top

rekoj71

On the Bestop you have to completely remove the top first. It has a channel on the front that the top slides into. The biggest advantage is the tailgate bar where you don't have to undo the rear window to let the tailgate down. Thanks for the comment too.

Yep, I forgot this detail.... The Bestop does have to be completely removed from the bows to get the front to slide out of the windshield riser track. The STC top uses a much easier design for this in that the riser and the riser track/channel are 2 separate pieces that slip together quite easily and slide out forward rather than sideways. To remove the STC top from the window riser you only have to loosen the top at the back (just lowering the bows can accomplish this), and disconect the velcro around the door window rods and pull the top forward about an inch and then you can release the track/channel from the riser and this allowes the top to be folded back much easier. I never wanted to fold my top back like this due to the fact that mine was a little bit older design that didn't have the removable windows (had to roll them up) and I didn't want them all scratched up. The folding back of the top is not as easy or good looking as the heep top is because of the longer design of our top. Ours sits more on top of the tail gate and the heep tops can usually drop in front of thier tail gate allowing a cleaner look.

Both tops rear window sections slide into brackets from the rear of the vehicle. STC into brackets that are mounted onto the tail gate (but they can be positioned pretty wide to aviod obsticles) and the Bestop into brackets mounted on the backs of the side rails. Niether one protrudes into the back of the bed any farther than the inside edge of the tail gate itself. The only thing I see with a spare tire mounted to the inside of the tail gate would be if the tire is very large the angle of the rear window my lean in far enough to rub on the tire (with a little padding like a town or something it probably wouldn't hurt the window other than scratch it making it harder to see out of but who cares, your tire is blocking that area anyway;D ).

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
Rekoj71, thanks for the detailed response. I see how it works now. It sounds like the STC top is the only one out there that will fold down with the fabric still installed. Last week, I bought new BFG AT 30x9.50x15s, including the spare. Hopefully since that is not a big tire, it will not rub the rear plastic window. How far does the rear window section and mounting brackets protrude into the tail gate? I probably need to measure that and make sure that it clears the spare mounting brackets. Thanks for the help.

Does anybody have a pic of a EB with a STC top folded down with the fabric still on it?

rekoj71

the STC top rear window hold down brackets resemble 1inch by 1inch angle iron more than anything else. The metal is about an eighth of an inch thick and its mounted to the inside edge of the tail gate in a way that comes up about a quarter inch above the tail gate then angles back, to create a small space/channel between the top of the tail gate and the bracket that another piece of metal that is part of the rear window can be sandwiched into. The window metal is in a sleeve on the botom of the window panel so it doesn't scratch anything up. Because the brackets are surface mounted to the inside upper edge of the tail gate and then angles backwards, the bracket only protrudes into the bed area the thickness of one of the sides of the bracket (about an eighth of an inch). These brackets also are not specific as to where from left to right that they need to be mounted (preferably evenly spaced and closer to the edges) so I'm pretty sure that they could easily be out of the way of your tire carrier but I don't think an eighth of an inch protrusion into the bed area is enough to be in the way either.

I probably sound like I am set on either the Bestop or STC, but those are the only ones I have any experience with. I also don't have a family cage or rear tire carrier to know if the bows will fold over them to lay flat without being unbolted and re bolted back on.

Last edited:

tasthree

Loc.
western NC
How are the inside measurements of these tops compaired to the hardtop. I have a family cage that with padding on it is tight in places with the HT on. 66 ALRIDE when you fold the bows down how much clearance do you have with the back portion of you cage.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The best and most durable top out is Chucks. Yest it's more $$ but worth it.It has better hardware and made of better materials. I had our kayline/STC tear and blow off on the freeway. I haven't played with the newr bestops but the old ones were crap.