• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for Bronco ads from 1977

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someone here just recently posted up some ads from '73 in the Popular Science magazine.
Seems to me that it was in the PS archive, so you might search for their site and see if they show images of all years or not.
The '73 was the entire issue. A bunch of us followed the link and had a great time scrolling through the mag and seeing all the alcohol and firearms ads.
Brought back memories of when not every subject was politically incorrect to discuss in polite company.

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Any one know where I can find print ads for broncos from 1977?

I think I have one or two at home somewhere. By '77, the EB was on its last legs and I don't think they had any EB-specific ads anymore. I have one or more that show the Bronco in a small picture in an ad for other Ford 4x4s with the F250 being front and center, etc.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That'd be cool to see.

Here's another link to the PS archive. I just put in "77 Bronco" to see what would come up and got this:
http://www.popsci.com/results?query=77+Bronco
Give it a look-see.
I'm havin' all kinds of fun looking through that stuff. Ads for Ford's buying guide with a very young looking Bill Cosby. An ad for Parnelli Jones' 1200+ page catalog of accessories! And all yours for a mere $1.25 to your door.

At first I searched for all issues from '76, thinking that Ford might have still been advertising the Bronco, or that the magazine might have had an article. But the search gets you some vague results, so I just kept on digging.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well howdy! Forget Ford, just click on the first listing on that page I linked above (August 1977) and there's a full-page Spark-o-Matic CB radio ad inside the front cover that shows a rancher sitting astride his trusty topless (not a '77 though) Bronco.
Good taste in vehicles of course.

Paul

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I think I have one or two at home somewhere. By '77, the EB was on its last legs and I don't think they had any EB-specific ads anymore. I have one or more that show the Bronco in a small picture in an ad for other Ford 4x4s with the F250 being front and center, etc.

Todd Z.

I think Todd called it. Ford was probably not interested in spending ad $ for a vehicle they were about to replace with a completely new version.

In the nearly 5 years I've had my '77 I don't think I've ever seen an ad for one. You might want to pick up a dealer brochure, though. They're on eBay all the time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably right on the money. Whilst browsing through the mags, I noticed that they not only were announcing the new full-size for '78 Bronco as early as Sept. '76, but they already had a hands-on test going on! Didn't read it, but saw mention of it somewhere in the mag.
Talk about pre-selling the thing. But, at least those paid to predict the outcome got their bonuses that year, because the '78 outsold the '77 by a 10-to-1 margin, if I remember.
Maybe not exact, but it was a walloping big change in sales.
Personally, I always thought they should sell both. I was never against a full-size to compete with the well-selling Blazer at the time, but felt they should give them both a chance.
Oh well...

Paul