• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for suggestions on tying cage into the frame

tonto

Bronco Guru
I’m getting ready to tie my cage into my frame and I’m trying to figure out which way to do it
One way I’ve been thinking of is to use a square plate under the floor beneath the mounting points of my cage and connect that to the frame with tube, using an upside down V like this /\ with tube, and the bottom of the tubes connecting to the lowest point on the side of the frame as possible.
The two forward floor mounts of my cage are right on top of the body cross supports underneath the body, should I cut those back far enough to get the plate flat against the underside of the body or just put them over the cross support and have a gap on the front and back of the cross support?
And should I incorporate a bushing similar to a track bar bushing at each connecting point under the tub on just hard mount it sandwiching the body between the two plates.
For the back, my center hoop is connected side to side along the floor and so is my rear hoop, I’m thinking of running two tubes over the frame rails along the floor in the bed and connecting the center side to side bar with the rear one at the floor and go through the bed to the frame in 3 different spots per right and left connecting tube.
I would also tie the center hoop floor mounts into the frame the same way I decide to tie the front ones into the frame.
I’m going to use 1 ½” dia. tubing and I’m thinking of cutting out 2” disks out of .150 thick steel to weld onto the frame first and then weld the tube onto to reinforce and distribute the load.
Feel free to post some pic’s of how you folks have done yours.
TIA, Francois.

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
I tied mine into the frame using a leaf spring shackle eye bushing.

Attachments

• 121-2114_IMG.JPG
    121-2114_IMG.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 121-2115_IMG.JPG
    121-2115_IMG.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 101

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I'll be doing close to what is pictured above, but my plans have the bushing at the body.

OP
OP
T

tonto

Bronco Guru
J-DUB said:
Hey Tonto, how is that cage looking?
It's going good, as soon as I get a new dig camera I'll post some pic's of it.
I want to tie it into the frame and mount my rear shocks of the diagonal supports you suggested.
Thanx for asking.

OP
OP
T

tonto

Bronco Guru
Do you think the bushings weaken it tying it into the frame?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Mine's welded RIGHT to the frame! And to the body where it passes through the sheetmetal! Ditch those poly body mounts and go rigid!

Dusty

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Poly will just give it some play, as to where welding will not give at all, unless the weld snaps. If you want the cage isolated from the body and/or frame use bushings.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Mine is currently welded to the frame via holes cut in the floor-where teh tubing passes through- then is tied into a 2X4 welded to the frame. I think it translates alot of the road to the rest of the truck, since it is welded to plates-welded to the floor at the back corners. I will go to bushings of some sort to allow for flex and, hopefully, smooth out some of the ride. Otherwise, over 10 yrs, this has held up great and the ride really is pretty good...just could always be quieter/smoother.