• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loss of a fellow enthusiast and MEB member

Pearlcoat

Bronco Guru
I first met Steve and Dar Engle at the Jamboree in Bloomsburg. The orange "Broncosaurus" stood out not only because of the color but also because of the fine workmanship and engineering that went into it. He and Dar were there every year after that and we always looked forward to seeing them and the bronco.

One time at Paragon when our bronco broke my husband and I took turns riding on the trails with Steve and his buddy Lucas. We had a blast and got to ride trails more difficult than we would have done in our bronco. Steve and I were at the top of a long, steep downhill on the trail and he looked at tme and said "you might want to put the shoulder harness on" (I only had the lap portion on at that time). I did, and down we went! It was great!

Rest in peace Steve, and may Dar feel some comfort knowing how many great memories there are of Steve and his bronco.

Judy Payne
President, MEB

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
very sorry to hear this:(, thoughts and prayers to him and his family

knack

Contributor
Terrible news. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
thoughts and prayers for his extended family....Sad day for the brotherhood indeed..

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
I am devestated, heartbroken and in shock over this news. Drew, thanks for letting us all know about Steve's accident.

Steve was the nicest guy you would want to meet and he and Dar befriend me when I was feeling like a man without a country back in 1997 when I took a job at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, PA, the town where Steve lived. Being a lifetime Southern boy, moving to central PA was a real culture shock for me, but more for the citizens of PA! Steve saw me driving through town one day in my chrome yellow EB and pulled me over to chat Broncos.

That was the year he was building his Broncosaurus and I mean "building"! He had designed a non-conventional mechanical monster of an EB for the era (351 C, C6) and was determined to see it competed before the next Jamboree in Bloomsburg. I use to go up to their house and hang out while he worked on it and I always learned something new from Steve. Dar had this gorgeous little Karma Ghia that Steve had restored for her and we all had a good time hanging out and chatting and when our first son, Greyson was born, I use to take him out to their house with me when my wife had to work late. Steve also introduced me to his buddy Lucas and we both knew Drew P. so I always had someone to talk Broncos with (way before the CB.com forum). It was also so much fun having an EB buddy to attend the Bloomsburg Jamborees with and cruise the weekends. Steve and Dar have a place up in the mountains they would go to on the weekend and he loved getting out and enjoying nature. He had actually built his home with all kinds of environmental-friendly means way before they were common methods, a man ahead of his time in lot of ways.

Leaving Steve and our friendship was one of the toughest parts of moving back to Atlanta in 2000, but we stayed in touch via phone and email. In 2001 or 2002 I picked up an issue of 4Wheel Wholesaler Parts in-store magazine when I was in the Atlanta location and there was a two page spread on Steve's Orange Bronco. I called him and quickly sent him a stack of the magazines for him to distribute to his friends up in PA. Well time went by and life got in the way and I hadn't talked to Steve in over five years, but just this past March I called him up to ask a favor. I had found a Big Wheel 80cc minibike up in central PA and I needed him to take delivery of it until I could figure out a way to get it to Atlanta. Steve was right there to help out (he even took it to Drew P. to bring to me at Super Celebration but Drew didn't get to come so Pearlcoat helped me out on the transport). I had promised Steve the last time we talked (early April) that I would not let another 5 years go by before I made contact with him...... I wish I had called him last week.

Here are some photos of Steve and our EB friends (see Dar and Steve in front of Broncosaurus) at one of the Bloomsburg Jambos back in the late 90s:

Steve, I will miss you buddy..... Dar, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Here is a link to the obit: http://dailyitem.com/obituaries/x1644187723/Steven-W-Engle-50-Lewisburg

Attachments

• img631.jpg
    img631.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 36
  • img630.jpg
    img630.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 42
  • img639.jpg
    img639.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 39
  • img638.jpg
    img638.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I just got home from attending Steve's funeral.

My girlfriend and I went up to represent MEB and the Early Bronco community which Steve loved so much.

I'm not real good with funerals as I can get choked up real easily. This one was especially tough. We were searching for the address and knew we where there as soon as I spotted Steve's bright orange Broncosaurus prominently parked in front of the funeral home.

We got there just a few minutes after the scheduled start of the service and there was a line out the door and down the sidewalk. It took about 30 minutes in the receiveing line until we got up to meet his step-daughter Stacy and her husband Matt and Steve's wife Darlene.

As we approached, I saw the displays set up with many photos, albums and memorabila that represented Steve. It was overwhelming how much of it was Ford, Bronco, and MEB related. Probably 75% or more. There were items I recognized that really choked me up such as one of the first MEB Staff antenna flags I made and gave to event staff and volunteers and a Paragon Adventure park antenna flag. I also quickly spotted a MEB East Coast Bronco Roundup shirt from the 40th Anniversary we hosted in 2006.

Pat and I introduced ourselves to his step-son-inlaw and step-daughter and I tried to offer my condolences as best I could at the moment as I we getting pretty choked up. Darlene then finished speaking with the person ahead of us and turned to me. It took just a moment for her to recognize me (must have been the clean shave and suit? ;)), but as soon as I said her name she started to cry and gave me a big hug and thanked us for coming. She told us how much Steve loved his Bronco and the club. We spoke for a couple minutes and I told here that if she needed anything to be sure to let me know as I gave her one of my club cards with my phone number and email.

She said that she was certain that she could not keep his Bronco as she is not comfortable driving it, but she did intend to drive it home from the funeral home with Steve's ashes as his last ride. That again really got to me!

After speaking with her and seeing how much it meant to see us there, it really made me so glad that Pat and I decided to take off work and make the 2+ hour drive up.

We then proceded to look at a few tables full of various items that represented Steve's life and passions. As I mentioned, there were LOTS of Bronco related items and photos. We thumbed though a few of the albums. One caught my attention in particular, the build album of Broncosaurus. I got to see just how much work Steve and Lucas did to that rig and when the cut the rotted rear of the tub off. When I got to the page showing the rear tub section Steve got from me and the work they did to seamlessly blend it into his rig was another point I got quite choked up.

The final Bronco item that caught my attention was a laminated half page newspaper article with a color photo of Steve and his Bronco. It was from 1999, just after they completed his Bronco. It was about a show that he had won and detailed all the work that went into the project and showed Steve's passion for the Bronco. One line that caught my eye was where Steve was quoted describing a group photo shoot we had that year at Bloomsburg where I had gathered all 28 of the Broncos at the show for a group photo and to try to get MEB rolling. Steve was quoted in the article as saying "we're starting a new club, Mid-Atlantic Early Broncos". This was even more proof of just how much Steve has enjoyed and felt a closeness to the club since day one.

There were also lots of photos of Steve's friends and family and their activities at his hunting camp which was also a huge part of Steve's life as well as some of Steve's younger years which are always interesting to see.

Pat and I then worked out way into the next room where we saw his best friend Lucas. We spoke and traded stories about Steve for at least 20 minutes. Lucas could easily write a book about some of the antics they got into over the years! Lucas said he hopes that he of one of Steve's friends buys Steve's Bronco to keep a close part of Steve with them. I too hope that is what happens and told Lucas that if one of them do get it, that I hoped they'd attend a future East Coast Bronco Roundup as I'm sure the member and participants would love to see at part of Steve there again. I thanked Lucas for reaching out to contact me.

On our way out (after an hour and a half with less than 30 minutes of the scheduled time remaining) there was even a much longer line out the door and onto the street with at least 75-100 people still in the receiving line.

As we walked out though the parking lot and past Broncosaurus, I stopped to get another close look at Steve's price and joy and felt blessed that Steve and I met 12 years ago and were able to share our passion.

Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed!

Drew

Last edited:

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the fine write up Drew, i don't do funerals very well either. may he RIP

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
nice summary Drew, condolences sent...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
As we approached, I saw the displays set up with many photos, albums and memorabila that represented Steve. It was overwhelming how much of it was Ford, Bronco, and MEB related. Probably 75% or more. There were items I recognized that really choked me up such as one of the first MEB Staff antenna flags I made and gave to event staff and volunteers and a Paragon Adventure park antenna flag. I also quickly spotted a MEB East Coast Bronco Roundup shirt from the 40th Anniversary we hosted in 2006.

That is very cool, sounds like a great turn out! Those types of things can definitely be tough.

God bless his family & close friends!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Nice write up Drew. Almost got choked up reading it. Very sad. But nice to know Broncos and MEB were such a big part of his life.

Pearlcoat

Bronco Guru
Very nice Drew. I probably couldn't have even talked to Dar for crying if I had been there. Thanks to you and Pat for taking time off work and out of your busy schedules to go and let them know how important Steve was to MEB and the bronco community, and how much he'll be missed.

RIP Steve! Maybe one day we'll ride together again.