• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower gear Ratio Kits for a D-20

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
69Early,

POR stands for pirates of the rubicon www.pirate4x4.com Go to the bulletin Board and you will see a Vendor Section. There is a subject in there from a vendor that is having a sale on the TeraLow kits. I contacted him and got a price of $490 for the dana 20. I am not currently running that kit. Not sure how long that sale is good for.

As for installers you could try Shaun at River City Differential and see if he does T-case gear installs. he is supposed to go good work at a fair price. He in in Rancho Cordova. Another place to try would be specialized 4wd in sacramento. I know they do tera installs. At least for the dana 300. They do good work, but its probably not cheap. Web site: http://www.spec4wd.com/
You can also try Foothill offroad in Auburn http://www.foothilloffroad.com/ Not cheap either. Not sure of the workmanship. Has a cool showroom though. Hope that helps a bit.

70_Steve

Old Guy
[quote author=69Early link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=0#msg169337 date=1063334195]
what would be a fair price for a reuild of a d-20 in Nor. Ca .
[/quote]
Here in Phoenix, AZ I got quotes of $300 and $350 just for labor to rebuild the D20. So.. I did it myself. If you decide to buy the parts yourself, regardless of who does the rebuild, check very carefully into what is included in the TeraLow kit. I bought the Teralow gear kit and a Master Rebuild kit (from JBG, I think). Most of the stuff in the rebuild kit was already included in the TeraLow kit. Actually, pretty much everything except bearings! Also, the "Master" rebuild kit, which included bearings, did not included new shims. I had to visit one of the local rebuilders and purchase front output shaft shims (at a slightly inflated price).

If you decide to do the install or rebuild yourself, I would suggest not using the instructions that came with the TeraLow kit. I found quite a few mistakes! There are links to copies of the original service manual that are much better.

Sorry, can't comment on how reliable they are, as I'm still in the process of getting mine running again. But the gears do look beafier than the stock gears in the appropriate areas.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Wild Horses in Stockton will rebuild transfer cases also. They'e gotten some bad press on this site for service in the past, but in my dealings with them over the last year, I'd say those days are behind them.

As for transmissions, have you considered the ZF? Best of both worlds, I think. Not quite as sweet shifting as a top loader, but it has a synchronized granny low- almost as low as an NP435- and an overdrive. Get one that was mounted behind a 5.0 or 351W and it will bolt right up to your engine. BC Broncos has an adapter and an engine mount for it. If I was doing a tranny swap now I'd go with that one in a heartbeat. My NP435 has that nice compound low, but it's a clunker to shift. In fact I sense a ZF mated to an Atlas II in my future...

OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
[quote author=70_Steve link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169455 date=1063376495]
[quote author=69Early link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=0#msg169337 date=1063334195]
what would be a fair price for a reuild of a d-20 in Nor. Ca .
[/quote]
Here in Phoenix, AZ I got quotes of $300 and $350 just for labor to rebuild the D20. So.. I did it myself. If you decide to buy the parts yourself, regardless of who
does the rebuild, check very carefully into what is included in the TeraLow kit. I bought the Teralow gear kit and a Master Rebuild kit (from JBG, I think). Most of the stuff in the rebuild kit was already included in the TeraLow kit. Actually, pretty much everything except bearings! Also, the "Master" rebuild kit, which included bearings, did not included new shims. I had to visit one of the local rebuilders and purchase front output shaft shims (at a slightly inflated price).

If you decide to do the install or rebuild yourself, I would suggest not using the instructions that came with the TeraLow kit. I found quite a few mistakes! There are links to copies of the original service manual that are much better.

Sorry, can't comment on how reliable they are, as I'm still in the process of getting mine running again. But the gears do look beafier than the stock gears in the appropriate areas.
[/quote]

70Steve Thanks. Would you (please) list out all parts needed for a complete d-20 rebuild. I want to rebuild it with the teralow at the same time I drop the new toploader in. Got it complete from David Kee Toploader Transmissions. The only thing that is not new is the case. If you can list them for me I can make sure I have
everything up front and If I have it built I can tell the builder what all I consider a complete rebuild rather than him telling me. Thanks Not realy knowledgeable of the components on the d-20!! Thanks Guys!!!

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Couple questions. Do you do any rock crawling? Tire size?

IMO you are wasting your money. I dont think that is anywhere near low enough for a stick shift. If you only do mild wheeling and dirt roads it should be ok.

OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169791 date=1063457573]

IMO you are wasting your money. I dont think that is anywhere near low enough for a stick shift. If you only do mild wheeling and dirt roads it should be ok.
[/quote]
MXPAZ,
We only do around town, Hway. fire trails up in the Sierra's and some moderatelyy steep hills. No crawling. Any suggestions on the transfer case without spending $1500.00 on the JP's. I I currently have a 3 speed and in 4wd low it has been sufficient in the past??

70_Steve

Old Guy
[quote author=69Early link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169716 date=1063427051]
Would you (please) list out all parts needed for a complete d-20 rebuild. I want to rebuild it with the teralow at the same time I drop the new toploader in.

Not really knowledgeable of the components on the d-20!! [/quote]

Will send you an email.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
[quote author=69Early link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169811 date=1063465141]
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169791 date=1063457573]

[/quote]
MXPAZ,
We only do around town, Hway. fire trails up in the Sierra's and some moderatelyy steep hills. No crawling. Any suggestions on the transfer case without spending $1500.00 on the JP's. I I currently have a 3 speed and in 4wd low it has been sufficient in the past??
[/quote]
I for sure wouldnt spend $1500 on a Dana 20. If you go that much spend just a little more and get a Atlas that is a million times stronger and better. You should just try running it with the stock gears and see if that will work for you. What size tires? If your running 33's you probably need to change your gears from 3.50 to 4.11. That might be all you need. That top loader choice is whats killing you. But Im with you I couldnt stand to drive the NP435. But the Low first gear was very nice. I just havent seen that many people put tera gears in a Bronco Dana 20. You just dont get that much lower of a gear for what it cost. But hell that may be all you need.

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169835 date=1063470512]
[quote author=69Early link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169811 date=1063465141]

[/quote]
MXPAZ,
[/quote]
I for sure wouldnt spend $1500 on a Dana 20. If you go that much spend just a little more and get a Atlas that is a million times stronger and better. You should just try running it with the stock gears and see if that will work for you. What size tires? If your running 33's you probably need to change your gears from 3.50 to 4.11. That might be all you need. That top loader choice is whats killing you. But Im with you I couldnt stand to drive the NP435. But the Low first gear was very nice. I just havent seen that many people put tera gears in a Bronco Dana 20. You just dont get that much lower of a gear for what it cost. But hell that may be all you need.
[/quote]

It depends on what a little more is. To get the atlas in there and installed you are probably looking at closer to $2500. That $1000 extra could play a big factor in what you decide to do. A lot of people are running the dana 20's without a problem. It just depends on what kind of wheeling you do and how hard you push it. The Dana 20 will suffice for 90% of the people out there. Out of the other 10% only 5% really need it and the other 5% have it just for the coolness factor.

OP
OP

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=21927;start=15#msg169835 date=1063470512]

[/quote]
MXPAZ,
[/quote]
[/quote]
I am hoping to get the teralow's for around $500.00 and the 20 rebuild for another $500.00 I want to have it rebuilt anyway when I install the new toploader. That way the entire drive train should be tight. I am running 32's and with the 3:50's and the Teralow I would like to get back what I had in 4 low with my 3 speed which 1st was 2.99 in first verses the loader of 2.78. I am thinking the Tera with the 3.15 verses the stock d-20? should get me back to what I had? I had pretty much what I needed on the 3 speed given the fire trails, moderately steep hills up in the sierra's that we run. Are the 32's a problem? I stayed away from the 33's because of the 3:50" I put in a new third member with a detriot true track 6 months ago and stupidly stayed with the 3.50 because I did not want to have to change the d-44 gears and spend another$Xxx.00. Th new 3rd member from Randy's with the true track was almost $1,000.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
$500 bucks isnt too bad. When I was looking they were more like $800. I do all the work myself so that makes my choices a little different too. For a $1000 that is probably your best bet. If it isnt low enough for ya you can always change your axle gears later on down the road.