• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M416 Build

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I have an old rusty 416. Tub is probably too rusted out to do much with, but it sure is neat seeing what can be done to them.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Got the trailer out on the road for the first time Sunday!
Finishing up the tongue and trailer hitch took some time. Using a purchased receiver tube, some 1/8" steel deck plate and 2" angle I fabricated a receiver mount which bolts to the original tongue channels.
At this time, I'm using a standard ball coupler. If the opportunity comes for a real expedition I may go with one of the off road adventure trailer couplers. For now, the trailer will see more firewood hauling duty than anything else. For more serious off road use I could carry another $20 ball coupler with me and replace it if the trailer flips. Could go through a lot of those for the price of one Lock-N-Roll.
For lighting, I used a pair of flush mount LED stop/tail/turn lamps. They weren't quite flush mount until I cut a couple gaskets from 1/8" rubber with a slot do the wires could come out the side.
The trailer seems to ride quite nicely empty. Can hardly feel it behind the Bronco. So far, so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 80

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
This thread makes me want to clean my trailor out and take it apart and see what I can do with it. I've had the trailor longer than I've had my Bronco, but they are a perfect match.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Got a little behind on pictures, but here's my progress to date.
Fabricated some running boards from 1/8 steel deck plate and 3/16 X 3/4 flat. Flame cut and bent in a vise using an acetylene torch. Nothing fancy. They're mounted to 1-1/4 X 1/8 steel angles that run all the way across from side to side under the frame. They are sturdy enough to stand on. I plan to add mounts for fuel cans in front of the fenders.

I also built a bumper for the rear from 2 X 2 X .120 square tube to protect the tailgate and provide another mounting point for the running boards. A couple 2000 lb "D" rings bolted to the bumper and frame will come in handy for tie down points, or if I need to drag the trailer backwards.

After that, I mounted a screw jack to the side of the tongue. It's a little big and bulky for my taste, but it needed to be tall to match the 24" hitch height. And the price was right.

On top of the hitch frame I added mounts for a propane tank. The tank fits down over three plastic buttons (stud mounted - can't remember where they came from) and is held down by a couple "J" shaped 7/16 bolts that hook on the bottom of the tank. The J bolts go through the top plate on the hitch and are fastened down with locknuts.

The Bronco and trailer got matching coats of paint in May. Ready to go scratch them up now.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 67

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
aside from the rattling, why aren't you guys sticking with the pintle style hitch? it looks great! i won't run the stock tires and wheels when i build one, it'll proly get 31" BFG's.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
aside from the rattling, why aren't you guys sticking with the pintle style hitch? it looks great! i won't run the stock tires and wheels when i build one, it'll proly get 31" BFG's.

Someone cannibalized the pintle hitch before I bought mine. I would have used it if I had it.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Perfect timing. I just ordered new rims for my 416, and dismanteling has begun in the driveway.

I really like the running boards, and may copy that idea on mine. Any cahnce of a pic from underneath, showing the mounting and angle iron?

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Perfect timing. I just ordered new rims for my 416, and dismanteling has begun in the driveway.

I really like the running boards, and may copy that idea on mine. Any cahnce of a pic from underneath, showing the mounting and angle iron?

Thanks. I'll try to take a few pictures tonight & post them tomorrow.

What are you going with for rims?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
We took an old fashon 10 x 10 cabin tent with the external poles and cut it down. A few hours and some honey doo favors got it done. I did have to buy an old fashion Singer to have a sewing machine with some guts. It works out well for 2 adults and a dog.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
Here's a few pictures from underneath, showing the mounts for the running boards. The angle iron mounts are fastened to the frame with 5/16 cap screws.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 43

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Thanks. I'll try to take a few pictures tonight & post them tomorrow.

What are you going with for rims?

After a frustrating day at Discount tire, I decided to just go with the stock M151/M416 rims. My originals were bent and rusty, and I found new ones for $25 a piece. Got some goodyear G90 7.5x16 British Military new takeoffs to mount on them.

Pulled the fenders off yesterday, and beat them straight. Currently coming up with a plan to replace the crappy tailgate on mine. Looks like an old CJ5 repop tailgate might do the trick.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
any idea what it weighs as it sits now?

The spec sheet says they weigh 670 lbs empty. I don't think the tongue and hitch mods I did weigh any more than the stock hardware. The running boards and tailgate - maybe another 40~50 lbs? I used pretty light gauge steel for everything I did.

OP
OP
K

knack

Contributor
After a frustrating day at Discount tire, I decided to just go with the stock M151/M416 rims. My originals were bent and rusty, and I found new ones for $25 a piece. Got some goodyear G90 7.5x16 British Military new takeoffs to mount on them.

Pulled the fenders off yesterday, and beat them straight. Currently coming up with a plan to replace the crappy tailgate on mine. Looks like an old CJ5 repop tailgate might do the trick.

Sounds like you found some good wheel and tire sources. I need to come up with a spare for mine.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Sounds like you found some good wheel and tire sources. I need to come up with a spare for mine.

Memphis Equipment. You might have to call them or email them, as they are not on the website, as far as I could see. $25 a piece, new!! And shipping for me to TX was $30 for two rims. Still cheaper than a not quite right aftermarket rim.