• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

major problem, need help quick!

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Theremostat was in correctly. I have been driving it for 6 months, since i last put it in. Belts are fine. How will i ever get anything blocking a passage out? I will check the thermostat tomorrow.
I was doing a search on similar problems. when i came across my own thread. last time i pulled the heater motor, smae thing happened to me. I pulled over when i niticed it was 230degrees. I turned my fan on to cool it off. Stated it back up and problem went away. Strange.
The water feeds in from the bottom coolant line in radiator? then up through the thermostat? then through the heating core? If my thermostat is closed, my core wouldn't get hot? Is this correct?

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
ca1a73 said:
What should happen with tha radiator cap off?

That's how you get the air out of the system. Take the cap off, start the truck and let it run till it heats up, but dont let it over heat. When the thermostat opens up your coolant level will drop. Top off the radiator and put the cap back on.

When you drained fluid from the radiator did you notice how much you drained? Did you put about that much back in or did you put a lot less back in?

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Ya, I think your heater core should heat up regardless of the thermostat being closed, as long as the water pump is working.

What you're describing does sound a lot like air-lock. I would do like Mikeg is saying and make sure the radiator is topped off. Your thermostat is probably ok after all.

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
I ran it with the cap off. I noticed my overfill bottle began to fill. Is this normal? All my coolant went into the bottle. I guess it has to go somewhere, right? Took a while to move my temperature guage. then it shot up pretty quick.. Is it my water pump?

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
It doesn't feel like there is any coolant in the upper hose. Almost feels like its not making it past the thermostat housing. Upper hose is ice cold. This happened to me last time i changed my thermostat, then went away. Im leaning towards an air pocket myself. Secondly my thermostat could be closed, and not opening.