• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Makita 18V Drills

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
Well this is bronco tech because this is going to get used almost exclusively on an EB :) I am looking for a drill to replace the complete POS Milwaukee 28V stuff that I have. For me I have had zero luck with the Milwaukee product. SO I am thinking of changing teams and go with the Makita 18V BP454 which PM gave it the best reviews. I gotta do something because being only corded is starting to really suck.

Thanks,
Matt

Amac70

ME
the makita stuff is great, i would get the combo kit with the impact and the drill. ive had the impact for over 6 years and its still going strong, i have bought a few batterys over the years but i use this stuff everyday so its going to be expected, i think the makitas batterys are good for 3to400 charges. before they won't charge anymore. but really any of the newer lithium ion battery cordless tools are pretty good.

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
I have the lithium ion set from HD. The drill and the impact. They are light weight, and the impact has one hell of a kick. I ditched my Dewalt junk a few years ago and will never go back. Dewalt batteries are the worst, and they are way too heavy. I got Makita kit on sale at HD for around $220. Well worth it. They charge quick too.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had horrible luck with a Milwaukee cordless hammer drill and left it at the what-not shop at the dump a couple years ago. Ive been using a dewalt since and love it. I have a sawzall too and it goes through the battery quick when cutting steel but I only use the cordless when I have too. I have nothing to offer on the new makita technology other than I've been happy with dewalt

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
The Makita stuff is great. Like the others, I bought the combo drill and impact. Also picked up circular saw and saws all. Got it all for under $400 with 2 batteries and couldn't be happier.

I'm currently building a house and I beat the crap out of this stuff and it holds up just fine. Charge time for the batteries is only 30 mins which is great.

Buy the Makita and get the impact. You won't regret it.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
You may want to look at Bosch...I love my impact driver....I also have Milwaukee 18volt ..I do know they had a battery issue for a while . I had all my cordless 18 volt tools batteries replaced by interstate and they all perform as expected...Porter Cable, as well as Milwaukee tools togeather.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure what you plan on using them for, but if it's mainly to drill small to medium holes, and drive screws, I would also look at the Festool CXS. It's small, and quite powerful. Quality in unmatched. You can get right angle and offset attachments to help getting into tight spaces. Don't get me wrong, Makita makes great cordless tools, but when I'm working on the Bronco, they always seem too bulky to get them where I need them.

http://drills.festoolusa.com/cordless-drills/models/cxs/

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
You may want to look at Bosch...

Agreed when I put money into tools I buy either Makita or Bosch. I tend to buy the Harbor Freight equivalent of a tool and if I A) Find that I use it a lot and b) tear up the cheap one, I start shopping Makita and Bosch for whoever has the specific tool with the best features. As far as rotary tools go though for me it's Bosch hands down. They have some of the best router and drill technology out there.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
I have the dewalt stuff in 20v lithium. The batterys last usually a week on a charge and I use them everyday at work. I have the drill, impact, sawzall, circ saw, and grinder. Other than the sawzall and grinder they will run for a long time on a charge with the 3.0 ah batterys.

eastbaybronco

Loc.
San Clemente CA
The best drill hands down, Festool, and ill tell you the right angle attatchment has saved me many times, three year warranty and a brushless motor is awesome, plus most people buy crappy dewalt royobi or makita.so no one will steal uour batteries!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been pretty happy with my DeWalt XRP driver and drill w/roto, but they don't get worked all that hard. They replaced a very old set of Makita's and outperform them in every way. The Bosch drill is nice and I believe you can get the same thing rebadged as a Panasonic for less money.

OP
OP
u10072

u10072

Bronco Guru
Well its down to a Makita or a Hitachi for me-- the thing I like about the Hitachi over the Makita is simply the warranty. Both are listed on a couple different websites in cordless comparisons. All I know is the Milwaukee gets some great reviews but every single Milwaukee I have is not what it was 10 years ago -- its just really high end HF if you ask me. All the power in the world of a cordless isn't worth anything if they have no durability or the batteries are just junk.

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Well its down to a Makita or a Hitachi for me-- the thing I like about the Hitachi over the Makita is simply the warranty. Both are listed on a couple different websites in cordless comparisons. All I know is the Milwaukee gets some great reviews but every single Milwaukee I have is not what it was 10 years ago -- its just really high end HF if you ask me. All the power in the world of a cordless isn't worth anything if they have no durability or the batteries are just junk.

Pretty sure Milwaukee went downhill after they were sold off. My dad has all the old Milwaukee corded stuff and swears by it. However he won't touch the new stuff

brewchief

Hello All,
Well this is bronco tech because this is going to get used almost exclusively on an EB :) I am looking for a drill to replace the complete POS Milwaukee 28V stuff that I have. For me I have had zero luck with the Milwaukee product. SO I am thinking of changing teams and go with the Makita 18V BP454 which PM gave it the best reviews. I gotta do something because being only corded is starting to really suck.

Thanks,
Matt

I've been using a Makita combo kit #LXT218 for 3 years now, it's the BHP454 drill and the 1/4" impact. It gets used every day at work and hasn't let me down yet. There is another combo kit that has a different drill that has quite a bit less power, one of the guys I work with did manage to kill his but he was drilling a 4" hole so it's not a big surprise, he upgraded to the bhp454 drill and is much happier.