• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual steering bell seal

fwilder

Hey all

I removed the manual steering box on my 66 and the seal on the steering bell fell apart. It still feels smooth when rotating it, so I was thinking I would just replace the seal. Then I was told I need to remove the entire column to do it. Does anyone have any advice? I really don't have the time or motivation to deal with pulling the column.

Thanks in advance

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You don't need to remove the column. There's a snap ring that holds the boot and associated pieces in. Remove the snap ring and disassemble as necessary. I will say the snap ring would be easier to remove with the steering shaft on the bench, but not 100% necessary.

Wildhorses sells a re-seal kit in case you didn't know.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Manual_steering_box_boot_kit