• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

map light rear view mirror

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone have the wiring layout on the 3 wire map light rear mirror. It is from a ford and has 2 switches for the map light (a right/left switch). I know that 2 wires go together to power and one to ground I just do not know which color goes where. Thanks, BI
Feel free to e-mail : donaldvieira@comcast.net

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I'd like to know too. I've got one waiting to put in. I figured one lead was +, one was -, and one was out to a switch on an open door. That's as far as I've gotten. Haven't hooked mine up yet. I'll be checking back to see if someone knows later.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
72_EB said:
I'd like to know too. I've got one waiting to put in. I figured one lead was +, one was -, and one was out to a switch on an open door.
That's typically how they are. I don't know what make/model mine is from (says "Donnelly" on it) but it has 3 wires.

Black = ground
Black w/ orange stripe = hot
Black w/ white stripe = hot when door open

Just touch the wires to your battery to find out which is which. Unless you have a door switch you'll probably just leave the "hot when door open" wire not hooked up.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have one from an S10 I believe. It is a 2 wire setup - hot and ground. No door switch - I just flip the switch on the mirror

U

Unregistered

I would guess that yellow would be non switched hot

Black negative???

Then that would leave white to be... open door hot?

but its just a guess based on yellow often being non switched hot... think stereos

wsturtle

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
I've got one wired into where the dome light on the wiper cover should be. Unfortunately I don't know what the mirror is out of but it works great.

Black-Ground
Orange-Swtiched hot
White-Not used

Works with the dome switch as long as one mirror switch is left on.

msweb

Bronco Guru
I've been trying to rig a dome light on mine and thought of a lighted mirror. Will most mirrors work with the factory shoe already glued to the windshield?

I have a plug which I believe was the hook-up for a wiper otor cover mounted dome light (it's behind the wiper linkage on the drivers side) but I can't get juice to it. All the fuses are good and the headlight switch works for all lights. I turn the switch to the left, feel a positive "lock" but neither prong on plug is hot. I've found no breaks in the wiring. Any ideas?

U

Unregistered

You must have 12v at the wire from the light switch. If you do you may have a burnt bulb in the map light.

msweb

Bronco Guru
no burned out bulb, no bulb at all. I'm checking the leads with a LED test light:(

msweb

Bronco Guru
All wiring is factory from the switch all the way to the two prong plug that would connect directly to the dome light.

At this point, I suspect that the switch itself is the culprit. If I can determine which terminals/wires do what, I should be able to isolate the problem.

thanks for the help!

MS

U

Unregistered

The map light has a
1- solid white
2-solid black
3-orange with a white stripe

The harness is the centech so the white wire is my hot from switch. Just need to know the wire hookup to hot and ground. Thanks