• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Map Light Rear View Mirror

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
This is an FYI -

These have been a popular, and much sought after item in the EB world, and I just thought I'd share.

If you've always wanted one, but don't enjoy the junkyard trip, and are tired of seeing them go for way too much on Ebay, this is for you.

In the new 4WPW catalog, they have a new, in box, mirror with map lights, for $39.95

http://4wpw.com/4wp/products/productline.asp?cat=JEE&man=CIP&prodline=4785&catName=Jeep Accessories

It may require you changing the wedge on your windshield, finding one for a 76 and up Jeep shouldn't be difficult to source if for some reason yours doesn't work. (get one in the HELP! section of your local auto supply for a couple bucks, don't forget the glue!)

Hope this helps.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I went junkyard scrounging for mine. found it in a mid 90s LeBaron for $5.
I'm a cheapskate:p

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Gummi Bear said:
This is an FYI -

These have been a popular, and much sought after item in the EB world, and I just thought I'd share.

If you've always wanted one, but don't enjoy the junkyard trip, and are tired of seeing them go for way too much on Ebay, this is for you.

In the new 4WPW catalog, they have a new, in box, mirror with map lights, for $39.95

http://4wpw.com/4wp/products/productline.asp?cat=JEE&man=CIP&prodline=4785&catName=Jeep Accessories

It may require you changing the wedge on your windshield, finding one for a 76 and up Jeep shouldn't be difficult to source if for some reason yours doesn't work. (get one in the HELP! section of your local auto supply for a couple bucks, don't forget the glue!)

Hope this helps.

I got mine off e-bay for $5 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. If you are not in a hurry, cheap ones can still be had if you check frequently.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Thanks for putting that up I though that is a good idea...
mine has no light in side ...and I dont like my mirror anyway ...of course
this one may fix no better than the one I now have ...It's about one inch high
cant see out well...also where does the power for the light come from on
this mirror ..do you run a wire up or just steal it off the wiper...

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
PAPITT said:
Thanks for putting that up I though that is a good idea...
mine has no light in side ...and I dont like my mirror anyway ...of course
this one may fix no better than the one I now have ...It's about one inch high
cant see out well...also where does the power for the light come from on
this mirror ..do you run a wire up or just steal it off the wiper...

I ran mine up the drivers side windshield channel where the wiper assembly wires go. If I remember correctly it took two wires. The mirror has three wires (A: constant +12volts, B: Constant ground and C: switched ground). I ran A and C through the channel. and hooked C to the tab on the headlight switch (hook A to any power source you want). I hooked B to the wiper assembly. I can turn the lights on/off with the switches on the mirror or turn the headlight switch counter clockwise and all the lights inside come on.

It was a pain running the wires through the windshield channel as there is not much space there. I think I lubed up a piece of small rubber tubing (like windshield washer fluid size) with the two wires inside and pulled the whole thing through with with a wire fish. Lots of cussing swearing helps also, and be sure to do this when it's 110 degrees in your garage --oh what we sickos call fun!

You might be able to steal power from the wiper, but I was installing a Ron Francis kit and wanted everything to run back to it's own clean power source for easy troubleshooting.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I robbed the power from the light that's in the wiper cover. now I don't have the original light...but it didn't throw out much light anyways. and I didn't hafta run any more wires. then I converted the original light into a hidey hole.

OP
OP
Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
My 76 came with a courtesy/map light from the factory, I figured on just catching power off of that. The headlight switch turns it on.

I've been watching them on Ebay, from time to time, and they've been getting high. I don't watch it close enough to catch the good 'deals' :(

skifast

Loc.
Sandhills, NC
I got mine out of a 2002 Mustang. Almost all convertibles have rear veiw mirrors with map lights in them. I guess the finding part is where it becomes interesting.

I just tapped into the original map light wiring. harness was replaced with a Painless harness some months back.

Hawkdoc

skifast said:
I got mine out of a 2002 Mustang. Almost all convertibles have rear veiw mirrors with map lights in them. I guess the finding part is where it becomes interesting.

I just tapped into the original map light wiring. harness was replaced with a Painless harness some months back.

Which yard did you grab it from? Looking for the same thing.