• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

master cylinder brake lines

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
my rubber flex lines right off the master cylinder to the H-block are pretty dry rotted, can i make these out of metal tubing if i coil it to allow some flex?
anyone know what size fittings i need? napa sells pre made and flared line in various lengths ready to bend...

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Yes you can. I think this is the fitting sizes for the MC are...2 x 1/2"-20, 2 x 9/16"-18

That's the fitting size for the new master cylinder I just bought (75 Drum/Drum).

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FWIW, if you're running a 76-77 disc/drum MC, the outlet ports are 7/16-24 and 1/2-20 inverted flare fittings.

OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
forgot to mention
it is a 69 with drum/drum
and yes i am wanting to save some cash and DIY, should be easy, just hoping to get the parts and have it all ready before tearing down then driving 20 min to the parts store...

ENDLIFE

This may be a silly question, but why does the coil have to be in the lines from the master cylinder?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This may be a silly question, but why does the coil have to be in the lines from the master cylinder?

There is a little flex between the body and frame at times. The coils will bend instead of the lines being stressed by this movement.

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
As said in many threads before, the coil itself isn't necessary for the brake functioning. I bought some nice Stainless steel braided hoses (DOT approved) from my wild horses disc/disc master cylinder to thr stock h block. I bought them a little long to allow the minimal body/frame flex.

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
I did it for a total of $12, just use a beer bottle to roll the line around and make your coil, worked out pretty good for me.

ENDLIFE

Tobinj what lengths did you buy, and are your orifices on the passenger or driver side of the MC?