• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Matching "custom" paint?

Tram

Bronco Guru
Just added another Bronco to the stable. This time a '73.

I don't believe the paint is a factory color and I'm going to need to try and match it for a couple small repairs.

Has anyone tackled this?

75d8e3541fae5ceec98b57d5e75a56d7.jpg

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
On e you get it good and clean. Let a local paint company scan the paint. They can match the paint and even adjust it for fading and exposure to the elemnets. I have seen amazing results locally

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Good. I won't stress it then. ;)

I'm not crazy about the blue, but it's in really good shape, no point in repainting the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Looks like my 1974 Bronco stock color medium blue metallic used on my 1974 explorer. Your Bronco a late 73 Explorer?

ChrisC74

On e you get it good and clean. Let a local paint company scan the paint. They can match the paint and even adjust it for fading and exposure to the elemnets. I have seen amazing results locally
Getting the scan is a good option if it works. I tried two or three high end auto paint shops and for whatever reason their color eye systems could not get a lock for my orange. I was referred to a mobile guy who has been mixing paint for 20 years. He came out and mixed it on site when I needed to paint a new tailgate to match 8 year old paint and it was spot on. I don't't remember the exact cost but it was reasonable. He just put me on the schedule when he would be in my area.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Matching "custom" paint?

Looks like my 1974 Bronco stock color medium blue metallic used on my 1974 explorer. Your Bronco a late 73 Explorer?

It is a '73. I haven't checked the VIN to see where in '73.

Maybe it is original paint. That'd certainly be easier to match. ;)

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If you will be doing some touch ups, it would be easy to sand an area and see if it is original or if it has been repainted.

JT3357

I had my paint color matched at the local O’Reilly Auto Parts. They matched my yellow perfectly. I also had them match a metallic copper on a non-Bronco. They will mix it up in a small bottle with a brush, a rattle can or even quarts/gallons.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. Looks like it may be original paint.