• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Matching the Torque Converter w/ the Cam?

G

I have a 74 EB, and I am building a 351w with a C4.<br> I would use the EB for around town a bit, but on the<br>weekends I would use it at the dunes(Weekend Sand Drags)! What size Cam/Torque Converter setup should I<br>use?

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have been told NOT to monkey with the torque converter and leave it as stock in order to avoid the extreme heat a high torque converter can create. As for the cam, you can shift your torque range into the lower RPM range with an "RV" type of cam

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
This is a current project I am working on and have compiled some information from manufacturers and suppliers regarding torque converters. The stall speed on a typical stock torque converter is around 1500 - 1800 rpm. A decent cam will put the best "engine breathing" around this range so when you hit the gas, the power is available. Any higher range could fry a tranmisson from the heat they create - especially during 4 wheeling. I of course need to deffer to the more experienced Bronco people on this site.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: You don't want to go over 2200 stall on the street it will make to much heet as for the cam what you want wont be a good street cam. My sand bronco had 69 boss 302 roller cam and rocker's alum rods gear drive and 850 double pumper twin elec. fule pumps and a linco trans but NOT good on the street gas was about 4.00 a gal. (green stuff) and it got about 2 mpg you mite want 2 broncos for this one street and one race. good luck. :p :p :p Bill 8) ::) :p

Tank_351

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
So, what cam size to torque converter would you recomend?<br>Currently I have 2'02 Trick Flow heads, Ford motorsport roller rockers, 351 Air Gap Intake, Arias pistons w/10.5:1<br>comp. The only missing ingredient is what size cam?<br> What size torque converter? <br><br>

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
As tough as it can be to get a bronc to cool I will agree, don't mess with anything smaller than stock (smaller = higher stall). Also there are companies that will space the turbine away from the housing, producing higher stall. The shear will produce massive heat. It is better to make more lower end torque. Possibly cam, heads, etc.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I bought a Comp Cams extreme 4x4 cam for my 408 Stroker and it says you need at least 2000 stall converter, but I think you could probably get away with the stock one. The bigger problem with cam selection is often times there isn't enough vacuum to shift the transmission. Of course I got rid of my automatic so I can do whatever I want with my engine.