• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Matching vin 351 Windsor 1974 bronco

lulu

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I have a Vin plate on my door pillar from Ford motor company Showing that a 351 Windsor was installed in 1978 that has a matching vin to my body and frame. From what I’m being told is this is a one of one bronco. Can anybody help me out and let me know if they’ve ever heard this before. I’ve owned over 15 Broncos in the last 20 years and I’ve never heard of such. People that have seen the bronco have been all over me to buy it but I don’t think it’s time yet. It’s one of the cleanest original paint Broncos I have ever seen. I can send links of pictures to somebody so they can post them.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Never heard of that, what letter in the vin did they use to indicate a 351?

RPM289

Become a contributor is easiest way to post pics that all of us want to see :)

OP
OP
L

lulu

Loc.
Marietta, GA
It was a replacement engine but ford matched the engine vin with the body and frame???? There is a plate on the door frame that is from ford showing the matching engine vin with the original vin

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It was a replacement engine but ford matched the engine vin with the body and frame???? There is a plate on the door frame that is from ford showing the matching engine vin with the original vin

I'm following what you're saying now.

OP
OP
L

lulu

Loc.
Marietta, GA
That’s what I thought. I must have one of one. I have the pictures to prove it. Somebody obviously had connections because this bronco is Mint.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
More likely someone scammed a sucker.
Ford did not put the VIN on engines, but there are many people that do not know that and will pay extra for one with it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford did put VINs on some engines. Just not on our typical 289's or 302's. At least not in the trucks of our vintage. I don't remember the circumstances (which engines in which chassis') but there were some.
So it's not out of the realm of possibility to have a 351 stamped with a VIN.

But "custom stamped" to match an existing title? Now that would be some strange happenstance right there!
You need to check out the DSO as well. Maybe it was a Ford executive's truck? Maybe sold to Car Kraft(sp?) to follow up on that "Boss 351" that we talked about last year?
Who knows... But like the others, I'd sure love to see it!

Is the plate an actual metal plate on the door pillar? Or is it like the heavy duty decal that was used from the factory on regular production Broncos of that vintage?
Love to see a Marti Report on that one, even though it would likely still indicate it left the factory with a 302. But it might still hold some as of yet unknown facts.

Good luck lulu. Hope to hear more about it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, any other distinguishing features? Unusual color for instance?
I wonder if it was a last-ditch shipment to Stroppe that never became a Baja. That'd be even cooler than just plain cool.;D

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That’s what I thought. I must have one of one. I have the pictures to prove it. Somebody obviously had connections because this bronco is Mint.

Look forward to seeing the pics

OP
OP
L

lulu

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Thanks Sprdv1, I’m now a contributor. Working on the pics. And yes it is a metal plate under the original plate on the door pillar

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
What is the DSO? Could this be a special order by a Ford exec? Or possibly a prototype trying out a Windsor in a 78 Bronco instead of the 351M/400 it should have had?

EDIT: Disregard. I did not know this was in 1974 Bronco.

Last edited:

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Hmm-in '78 Ford or someone put a 351W in a '74 and had a new Vin plate made . Some States used to title a vehicle by the motor so Is it possible that whoever swapped the motor did this to get a Title and insurance ? In '75 I put a 289 ci in my '47 2A Jeep and had to title and Insure it as a '75 assembled.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I'm a little confused.. Title talks about 74 bronco but details talk about 78.

Joe473

It’s a 1974 bronco with 351w installed in 1978 from the ford factory all with matching vins
Or a 1974 bronco with a dealer installed 351 and a warranty tag on the truck and Engine for dealer to identify warranty status in future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk