• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Measuring suspension lift

Mikesimp70

I understand the measurement from top of Axle to bottom of frame rail stock was 7” and 6” front and back.

I installed a 2.5” SL plus the 0 rate add a leaf to relo the back axle by 1” on my rolling chassis. I am now measuring 12” front and 13” back. I dont suppose the body and gas tank will load the suspension 2-3”.

I am concerned because I have measured and ordered axles from the chassis.

Thoughts?

Mike

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I'm betting if you put the body back on it's gonna settle the lift somewhat. Have zero idea what the body weighs......never took a body off to add suspension lift.
Randy

OP
OP
Mikesimp70

Mikesimp70

.never took a body off to add suspension lift.
Randy

Funny! ... I have found its easier when you can reach down from the top!! Plus it’s easier to drink beer than when I’m laying on my back!! ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it makes a very big difference. You literally can't measure any setup points on your steering or driveshafts or probably a few other things until the vehicle is fully loaded.
The front springs are pretty consistent, but the rears (at least ours) will tend to sit high for awhile. Some seem to sit higher than others, but in general they do settle down some with normal weight, then more with age.

The measurements are approximate also, so a half-inch discrepancy in your lift verification is normal. These trucks were not all the same height from the factory. Suspension options, half-top vs full top vs no top, etc.
But anything within half an inch of expected is acceptable.

When you need to make certain measurements before the chassis is loaded up, you can pull the suspension down with ratchet straps until it reaches the desired height. Then take your measurements for steering, drivelines, and whatever else.

Paul