• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Meet Buttercup; a '66 Roadster

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a teaser shot. I'll update the thread with a few steps along the way, but Buttercup is almost finished with the "deep cleaning", and with a new engine, it's a hoot to drive! It's amazing how well it drives and scoots down the road! It's almost addictive to drive!!

Before clean and after clean!;D;D;D;D

I agree Dennis! You get a great driver with the 6 cylinder, yes they are fun! That blue roadster of mine I took to Moab last year amazes me how much of a road riding rig it is too.

broncojack

Contributor
Looks great !
How much is admission into the showroom?
Is Wednesday 1/2 price for senior citizens?
Asking for a friend. ��

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
I'm gonna need some tips on how to straighten out the metal on "Flipper" a Springtime Yellow 66 that I got a few months ago.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen! Buttercup is smiling and has a bit of pride back with it looking and running good!

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I agree Dennis! You get a great driver with the 6 cylinder, yes they are fun! That blue roadster of mine I took to Moab last year amazes me how much of a road riding rig it is too.

Yes Tim. I have been surprised at the fun factor and the nice road manners of the 170 powered U13! I'm not stating that it would be great on the freeway, but that wasn't what it was designed for. A great ride on a rural back country road with the sun getting low in the sky and the temperature about 75!! Lovely!!:cool::cool::cool:

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I'm gonna need some tips on how to straighten out the metal on "Flipper" a Springtime Yellow 66 that I got a few months ago.

I wish I could impart some 'tips' on metal repair. I feel it is like riding a bicycle; you can know the techniques, but the feel only comes with experience.

I often just study each dent and theorize on how it was damaged to begin with. The way to remove it is to just reverse the physics! I know this is over simplified, but it is a good thought process while working the metal. Unconventional dents have to be removed with unconventional methods. Like it has been mentioned in this thread, sometimes custom made shapes or tools to press in a special area, or where you can't really get to.

Another very important aspect of the repair is to remove it easily and slowly to minimize the metal becoming stretched. The first dent of damage usually stretches the metal and it can be stretched even more with a hammer and a dolly. I try to minimize the stretching by moving it slowly and very deliberately and precisely.

I probably spent two weeks working the right front corner dents on Buttercup. I would dismantle, work the area, reinstall, measurements, work with it assembled, disassemble and work some more...

It's time consuming, but very rewarding when the damage "disappears".

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Looks great !
How much is admission into the showroom?
Is Wednesday 1/2 price for senior citizens?
Asking for a friend. ��

Admission is available for sure!;D;D;D ...especially for seniors!! They will soon forget they have even been here!:D;D:D

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
When I purchased Buttercup in March of 2018, the owner told me that the mileage was 'actual' and 'original' I acknowledged the fact, but with a 55 year old vehicle, you take that fact with a 'grain of salt'. The speedo could have been broken for 100 k miles, or changed, or no telling what else.

However, Buttercup was pretty complete and I could tell it was an 'honest' survivor, so I had to have it. Once I began work on it, I found out that this U13 was much more than I had originally thought. This is a complete opposite from what I usually find with Broncos! They are usually worse than I thought!... A pleasant surprise for sure!

Usually Ford vehicles doesn't list "matching numbers" like GM, but during the engine build, I discovered the engine block code, the aluminum engine tag on the distributor bolt bracket, and the carburetor tag all have the same date codes! WOW!

Disassembling the rear brake drums, I discovered the rear drums have never been removed. They still had the thin, sheet metal drum locking nuts, which I have never seen still on a Bronco! I also found the original brake shoes front and rear!! The picture showing the brakes assembled, nothing was painted. Original paint on the backing plates and springs!

The shocks front and rear were the originals from August 65! They were not usable, but still existing!! WOW!

While removing the headlights, I noticed they are still the script headlights!! Both of them! And they still work!! "Made for Ford FOMOCO" etched on the glass!!

The little U13 still has the original tie rods and draglink and drives nice and tight!! I've decided that Greg was right and Buttercup did only have 58k miles!!

I think the oil in the engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear diff were original too!!
It sure smelled like it!! LOL... and that is probably why the engine was weak!

Attachments

• buttercup 2.7.jpg
    buttercup 2.7.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Buttercup 2.8.jpg
    Buttercup 2.8.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 45
  • Buttercup 3.2.jpg
    Buttercup 3.2.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Buttercup 3.6.jpg
    Buttercup 3.6.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Buttercup 3.5.jpg
    Buttercup 3.5.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Buttercup 3.7.jpg
    Buttercup 3.7.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
The Warn hubs are unlike any that I have had experience with. A little like the 8 bolt Warn, but different too!

The frame still has numerous paint marks too...

The front wheel bearing nuts and washer look like NOS ones. They for sure have never been removed with a chisel! I really don't think they have ever been removed...

Attachments

• Buttercup 3.4.jpg
    Buttercup 3.4.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Buttercup 3.3.jpg
    Buttercup 3.3.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Buttercup 3.1.jpg
    Buttercup 3.1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Buttercup 3.0.jpg
    Buttercup 3.0.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Buttercup 2.9.jpg
    Buttercup 2.9.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Buttercup 2.4.jpg
    Buttercup 2.4.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Buttercup 2.3.jpg
    Buttercup 2.3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
A few more pictures: Pulling front inner fender to restore proper dimensions, a world record daubers nest in the defrost duct, and a vacant engine bay.

Attachments

• Buttercup 4.0.jpg
    Buttercup 4.0.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Buttercup 3.9.jpg
    Buttercup 3.9.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Buttercup 4.1.jpg
    Buttercup 4.1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 83
  • Buttercup 4.2.jpg
    Buttercup 4.2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 81

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
I will have to show you what I am working with. It is gonna be a different type of project.

I wish I could impart some 'tips' on metal repair. I feel it is like riding a bicycle; you can know the techniques, but the feel only comes with experience.

I often just study each dent and theorize on how it was damaged to begin with. The way to remove it is to just reverse the physics! I know this is over simplified, but it is a good thought process while working the metal. Unconventional dents have to be removed with unconventional methods. Like it has been mentioned in this thread, sometimes custom made shapes or tools to press in a special area, or where you can't really get to.

Another very important aspect of the repair is to remove it easily and slowly to minimize the metal becoming stretched. The first dent of damage usually stretches the metal and it can be stretched even more with a hammer and a dolly. I try to minimize the stretching by moving it slowly and very deliberately and precisely.

I probably spent two weeks working the right front corner dents on Buttercup. I would dismantle, work the area, reinstall, measurements, work with it assembled, disassemble and work some more...

It's time consuming, but very rewarding when the damage "disappears".

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now you’ve gone and ruined it......Santa will never go back to a sleigh and reindeer after riding in a roadster! Buttercup looks mighty proud of herself!

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
You need to get a basket ball and paint it red and tie it to the hood then you could lead the parade! Cool bronco you got there and that looks like Jacky behind you there.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Hey Ben, Brian and Mary. No Dad didn't make me do it, but he has participated more years than me!😅 Yes, that's him just behind me. There was 4 early Broncos and a Bull Nose Bronco. Yes, Mary, I think the Bronco ride changed Santa forever! The Bronco in low range first gear and the idling 170 is the perfect parade vehicle! Perfect speed! You just throw candy and steer occasionally! Here's another picture a spectator sent me... Christmas Parade 2021 1.0.jpg