• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Metal Jerry Cans

MichaelB14

Loc.
Cumming, GA
Does anyone know where I can buy metal jerry cans? I can only find those Walmart plastic ones and a place in Germany selling metal ones.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
It's definitely worth the extra $'s to go with the European style that Flint_knapper linked to over a Blitz can. Blitz cans constantly have gas pressurizing out of the cap and making the cans nasty. It cracks me up that the European style technically aren't CARB legal in California yet you can mount them upside down and they won't leak. The "New" CARB approved Blitz can has a plastic lid that swells from exposure to gas(at least the original version did) and the filler spout has an idiotic push release on the spout that is supposed to prevent spillage but you invariably spill an 1/8 cup of gas on the ground when you go to put it on the can because of the liquid trapped in it.....our tax dollars hard at work. (Sorry about the rant)

OP
OP
M

MichaelB14

Loc.
Cumming, GA
I have since found a couple of places that sell the metal ones...

Wedco Jerry Cans

I see on the link you provided that it says cans that carry gas HAVE to be red. Is this true? I know they are red so people know what are in them, but I perfer the olive or black color ones.

Case

You are suppose to use red cans for gasoline, yellow is for diesel, green for keresone, and blue for water. I dont see why you couldnt use the olive drab cans though. Just make sure you know which is which.
;D ;D

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
It's also a legality thing, where you're supposed to identify if you have any HAZMAT on your vehicle. Same reason you're supposed to have warning stickers on the hood/fender area if you have a compressed air tank under the hood. That way responding emergency personnel can evaluate the hazard to determine the safest course of action to the recovery and themselves. If they're injured through your lack of correct markings, you're liable.
Joe

KST1

I picked one up at my local Farm & Fleet a couple years ago. I think its the Wedco. European style. Do not get the ones with the screw in cap/plug. They leak all the time and pressure buildup makes them spew fuel everywhere.

One note: The can I got came with a spout. The spout is steel but it has/had a plastic flex end on it. This plastic is very brittle and mine broke shortly after purchase. With the plastic flex peice missing the spout is to large to fit in the gas filler neck.

I just purchased a stainless flex spout from Cheaperthandirt (link above) for $4.97($10.96 w/ shipping). That's the cheapest I've found.

-D

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I bought a european olive drab can from sportsmansguide a few years ago. I carried it everywhere in the back of my truck locked down. For safety sake put a hazmat sticker on it. I would have to go back there every few days and open the spout to let the pressure out or it would build up inside. I thought that was pretty unsafe myself. Then it started leaking on me. It was wet in the bottom side of the can, but I don't think it was from the top. I never checked it out close, just took it out of my truck and put it in the garage. I'm not sure how thick the metal is (maybe thinner than the jerry cans).

I wouldn't say those cheap blitz cans are the best, but I've never tried the jerry cans so can't tell you much about those. But theres my take on the blitzers.

KST1

I picked one up at my local Farm & Fleet a couple years ago. I think its the Wedco. European style. Do not get the ones with the screw in cap/plug. They leak all the time and pressure buildup makes them spew fuel everywhere.

One note: The can I got came with a spout. The spout is steel but it has/had a plastic flex end on it. This plastic is very brittle and mine broke shortly after purchase. With the plastic flex peice missing the spout is to large to fit in the gas filler neck.

I just purchased a stainless flex spout from Cheaperthandirt (link above) for $4.97($10.96 w/ shipping). That's the cheapest I've found.

-D

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I just got mine recently and have seen them a few different places... Knects (spelling is wrong) GI Joes ad sportsman warehouse .. don't know if you have any locally or not

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
MichaelB14 said:
I bought one from cheaperthandirt. I will see what I think about it...

If not, I may just get these...
Olive Plastic Gas Can

They are plastic, but look pretty nice.

They look pretty nice, but I noticed this:

Order# MFC02, Flexible Spout with 1-1/8'' pouring tube, not for refueling vehicles requiring unleaded fuels , or # MFC03, Flexible Spout with 3/4" pouring tube for unleaded fuels.

OP
OP
M

MichaelB14

Loc.
Cumming, GA
sfaforester said:
They look pretty nice, but I noticed this:

Order# MFC02, Flexible Spout with 1-1/8'' pouring tube, not for refueling vehicles requiring unleaded fuels , or # MFC03, Flexible Spout with 3/4" pouring tube for unleaded fuels.

Keep reading that same sentence... They sell 2 different spouts. The 2nd is 3/4" for unleaded