• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

michigan dunes

bludorbronc

hi, a freind moved to michigan and bought a 4x4 and now he wants me to come play. leaving des moines thursday 7/21 and coming back sunday 7/24. i found there is a drag strip not far from the dunes that we might watch on saturday if we get tired of the dunes. anyone else interested to play.

STD

Loc.
Waukesha, WI
It is good times out there. I am going next week. We make a trip out there at least once a year for the past 6 years.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been going up there 27+ years. It's a great time especially with family and kids. My daughter was raised on the dunes she just loves it, she's 26 now and when we go without her she's pissed. The drag strip is fun to watch as well! And there are alot of other things to do also. One thing is the trails thru the woods that are only open during the summer time. Have fun and when on the dunes watch out for the crazey quad and bike guys. I'll keep your dates and maybe be able to come up then..

frenchy

Hank_

Bronco Guru
As said above you should hve a great time. I have been going there since 1980. My son is taking his wife up this coming weekend camping and showing her the dunes. Have fun and make sure you cruise the dunes slow the first few times around. You can crest a hill and find a wicked drop off on the other side. If you are going on the weekend check out the voucher system to get on the dunes.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=493

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-34760--,00.html

You can do some great site seeing over at Lake Michigan on a sunny day, plenty of people enjoying the sun and sand.

Henry

Case

Have fun and make sure you cruise the dunes slow the first few times around. You can crest a hill and find a wicked drop off on the other side.

Henry

i second that, the one and only time i have been to the dunes a lady driving a quad drove off the side of a dune. no one was at the top of the dune to warn others about her lying at the bottom so i had to stop on the side of the dune and wait for the paramedics to get her loaded up and out of the way. was not fun sitting there feeling like my truck was going flop onto its roof. i have no idea how hurt she was, but it didnt look to good.

OP
OP
B

bludorbronc

is there any nice cheap housing available with room for trailer parking. doesnt need to be a chain , something local would do. thanks for all the info, sounds like i should have a good time. do i take the top and doors off and enjoy the sun or does the sand go everywere.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of places to stay with trailer parking and good prices. Yes take the top off it will be more fun. If it's windy off the lake you might get a little sand inside, won't be bad. Go online and search for places to stay and info on the dunes so your prepared when you get there.
frenchy

OP
OP
B

bludorbronc

well, this is the weekend we go to the dunes. hope the weather cools down. like to see more broncos there to play with. is there an area to drive the tow vehicle onto the dunes to set up an awning to cool off under without going thru the voucher process. see you there.

brewchief

well, this is the weekend we go to the dunes. hope the weather cools down. like to see more broncos there to play with. is there an area to drive the tow vehicle onto the dunes to set up an awning to cool off under without going thru the voucher process. see you there.

Looks like it will cool down a little bit, still gonna be plenty warm though.
Any truck going on the dunes will have to go though the same stuff, vouchers if needed, State park and ORV stickers and a flag on the front, then though sound check and check for spark arresting mufflers.

Make sure you air down your tires, getting stuck on the entrance ramp blocks everyone and won't make many friends.

Brian in MI

There is a parking lot for "non dune ready" vehicles. This right at the entrance to the dunes. You can park there all day, but once your tow vehicle leaves the lot it is back to the end of the line. I was there in '04, '06' and '08 and there was no sound check. Just on very busy or holiday weekends.

12 psi works good for me

Also you can get your voucher the night before, speeds up getting the park the next am, but they are only good for hr blocks, so cant use a voucher for 7 - 12 at 1pm.