• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

might as well start a build thread

OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm worried about only having one upper link that far from the axle centerline. i'd rather have 2 links with 4" separation than 1 link with 7" if i can't get the upperlink on the inside of the framerail.

OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
hhmmmm maybe i'll try out the single upper. this should be interesting.

OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i played hookie from work today and stripped the frontend back down so that i can reconfigure my links. i decided to run it as a 3link with panhard instead of a 4link with panhard. i'm not burning another damn thing onto this housing until i mount the drivetrain onto the frame so i can see if anything is going to hit. from looking at someone elses eb at the cookout on sunday it doesn't look like i can get my upper link inside the framerail and i read up on danwheelers threads on pirate that a lot of people are running the single outside the frame so i'm going to probably go with that.

i was looking everything over today trying to figure out where i'm going to mount my shocks to the axle. it's going to be interesting with my upper link directly above my lower.

OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
2 steps forward and 1 step back...

one of the biggest lessons i learned from this build so far is that you always leave stuff tacked in place until you are almost finished. i didn't like where i put the front upper coil brackets and decided to move them back. unfortunately, they were pretty well welded up. i thought about leaving them but they kept bugging me so i finally cut them off.

i was really surprised at how warped and thin the frame wall behind the buckets were. i decided to use some angle iron to strengthen up the areas for the coil buckets and the trackbar mount. the weather turned to complete crap and we have lots of thunder and lightning so i'm calling it a night, but here are some pics of where i reinforced the frame.

Attachments

• DSC00309.jpg
    DSC00309.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00310.jpg
    DSC00310.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00312.jpg
    DSC00312.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'll try and get some pics up this week. i haven't made too much progress lately because of work and travel. i set the drivetrain up on the frame so i could figure out where to mount my upper link on the front and it looks like i have room on the passenger side and will just miss my starter at full stuff. i pulled the drivetrain back out and built the upper frame mount and upper axle mount. hopefully i'll get the lower mounts built this week and will be able to cycle the suspension.

so.... no eye candy yet. pics will follow