• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Might be a silly question

widowmaker77

Contributor
This might be a silly or stupid question but here goes. Are the 4.6 mod motors not a thing anymore? I remember they were pretty popular but then the coyote came out and that seems to be all the rave now. Seems to me a 4.6 can be had and installed for way cheaper than the coyote motor. Just curious is all.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I don’t believe the 4.6 was ever a very popular swap. First was Mustang 5.0 then Explorer 5.0. The Coyote is the rave now for high-end builds, but the Explorer is still hanging in there! And the Coyote is still too costly.

Plus a lot of people are using TBI systems (FITech and Sniper mainly) as the easiest way to EFI. I’m seeing a lot of mixed results with these systems though.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
The 4.6 is a horrible motor choice, requires a ton of mods to work and virtually none of the guru support there is with virtually any other option. I have had one in an early Bronco. I would not swap one if the motor was free.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
The coyote motor prices are ridiculous. I’ve never had a 4.6 but I have two 5.4’s and they have been good engines. I just remember seeing videos back years ago of a supercharged 4.6 bronco and several threads on here about the 4.6 swaps. I’ve been away from this board and Broncos in general for several years so that’s why I was asking about the 4.6 swaps. Explorer 5.0’s are hard to come by around me but I’ve got a f150 5.0 I’m going to run carb on until I can get the explorer or mustang efi.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 4.6 wasn't a great swap. Physically huge, the OHC is not a tight package. It didn't package into the fox mustangs very well even with Ford doing the engineering.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Thanks guys. It’s not a swap I’ll probably ever do. Just was wondering if anyone was still doing the 4.6 swap.