• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mini Spool in My Nine

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
Well, Christmas Break is finally coming, and I get to go hme to My Eb for a month. I have seen mini spools on Ebay for $18.00. I would really like to put one of these in over the break, and I was wondering if these Mini-spools are allright. Is it a get what you pay for type of thing? If they are allright, then how hard is it to put one in? I doubt it comes with an instructional video. I understand I do not have mess up the R/P.

Blueoval4me

Loc.
Fullerton, CA
"Mini Spool in My Nine" sounds like lyrics to a rap song<br><br>I know a couple of guys that swear by them. One guy calls his "the best $30 I ever spent" However I would not do it with stock axles.<br>

orange69

I just put one in mine 3 weeks ago. Pretty easy to do but you will need to set the backlash because you have to remove the ring gear. Everyone I talked to recommended getting the stronger pin. Cost like an extra $15 bucks. One of my friends is running one with his stock axles and has not had any problem. Its his daily driver--up to 70 miles a day! Just have a dial indicator to see what your current backlash is set to then make sure you put it back when you reinstall everything. Good luck.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: There not good on the street very hard on the rear drive train save your money and get a locker and be done with it. 8) 8) 8) Bill 8) ::) :p

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I have a mini in my nine and I drive it on the street and beat the crap out of it on the trail . I am running the stock 28 spline axles and 35 inch tires . As for on street driveability , I don't have to wonder when the detroit will unlock in the middle of a turn and I can't imagine that rubber is stronger than steel , so I don't really worry too much about wearing the drive train out ...but I do seem to go through alot of tires ;D

OP
OP
red67

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I guess i was just wondering on the quality of the units for sale on Ebay. Are they the same you would get through someone like, Jegs?<br><br>
minispools.JPG
<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874754486<br><br>

G

dont they sell them at summit for 30 new? why not buy from someone you can trust and i dont think the shipping would be too bad either, you could count on it getting there

orange69

I totally agree with howiebilt. One thing I found out that when I was asking people about spools they would all say the same thing "not good on the street." But they have never used one before. I like the fact that I'm only out $30 bucks compared to the $400 bucks for a Detroit. My experience with a Detroit was in a friend's blazer and that thing was the loudest thing I've ever heard. Clunkin around every corner, felt like the rear end was falling apart. Another guy I talked to, told me how he almost lost control of his Land Cruiser when his locker disengaged at highway speeds. :eek: Cheap, simple, very affective and reliable--sounds like a winner to me. I'm not trying to put down Detroits or any other locker, it all boils down to doing your own research and evaluating your driving style.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
just an observation. If they are so great and so inexpensive(talking long run), why does'nt everything have a locked differential? you better sail under a lucky star or lay two black marks around every corner. spools are a poor mans posi. if you want to save the $30 for the spool, pop the diff cover and break out the welder, you can break the same two axles with $2 worth of welding rod.

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
I am happy with mine as a daily driver (30+ miles). It isn't very noticeable while driving, I am running stock axles with 35's, and other than moderately increased tire wear, I have no complaints. <br>My thought was either spend $600 plus on a selectable locker, or just spool it. Reliability, strength, and predictability are all the reasons to take it over a $400 Locker, and if I am spending that much, I would just save the little extra for the selectables. <br>As far as installation, I was a little surprised with how involved it was to put in. If your not overly strong in differentials, I would see about removing the 3rd member yourself and taking it somewhere to have the spool put in. It certainly isn't rocket science, but if you don't get it back together with the same settings, it can escalate from there. <br><br>Good luck!!

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=12249;start=0#91569 date=1039979052]<br>Mini spool, good.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ah yes ...a man of many words ;D

OP
OP
red67

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I was never debating the idea of running a mini spool or not. I figured for 30 bucks, if it broke an axle or carrier I would just upgrade to 31 splines and a real Detroit. <br><br>I guess my real concern was if I had to mess with setting up the r/p. I dont have any of the dials or indicators to do that kinda thing. So... If I took it apart and put it all back together the exact same way, would there be a problem? Will the stock cross pin hold up?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I would get the stronger pin, they dont cost much and will give you piece of mind.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12249;start=0#91244 date=1039824280]<br>just an observation. If they are so great and so inexpensive(talking long run), why does'nt everything have a locked differential? you better sail under a lucky star or lay two black marks around every corner. spools are a poor mans posi. if you want to save the $30 for the spool, pop the diff cover and break out the welder, you can break the same two axles with $2 worth of welding rod.<br>[/quote]UH because a big hill and a heavy foot removed ALL the teath on the spider dudes and there was nothing left to weld! 3 years later the spool and 28 spliners are still hanging in there! And I baby it as best I can at full throttle!

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
You could set the lash by feel ...I do , and I have all those fancy indicators and stuff too . If you set it too tight , you will not be able to turn the pinion by hand . Basically , you know that it is too tight so you will need to back it off a little bit . I try to set mine somewhere around 3 but you can go as far as 7 (sloppy) .<br><br>As far as the pin goes ...yeah you can replace it with the super hardened heavy duty one for a few bucks and not have to worry about it ... but I just run the stock one cuz I'm cheap .

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
I run a mini spool in my nine and a detroit in the front,I have had no problems with the rear but i break front axles like crazy rear axle is stock front axle is a warn lifetime but both are 28 spline with 35" tires