• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

minimum lift with 35" tires

laen461

Loc.
Charlotte NC
Could someone tell me the minimum suspension lift required to run 35" tires without cutting the front fenders? I will be using a 1" body lift. This will be a daily driver so would a 10 or 11 leaf system give a btter ride quality over the standard leaf pack?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
They will hit with a 5" combo, and yes thats minimal contact serious wheeling. Mine would hit hard enough to bust fiberglass all four corners last OCBR.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I have a 2" BL and 2 1/2" suspension lift and the 35" tires were contacting the front fender on turns. As much as it pained me, I cut the front fenders this weekend. No more fender rub for now, but I am hitting the radius arms on sharp turns. Need to adjust the stops.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Although this is a street bronco, you should still count on using your full range of suspension travel! Clearing larger tires is not only a function of ride height, but also suspension travel, particularly compression. The best way to find out what ride height you need would be to buy some 35" tires first and mount them. Then remove your shocks and springs and cycle your suspension. Find out how much compression you can get and still turn lock to lock without rubbing. Then measure how big your bumpstops will need to be to stop compression at the point you have determined. Keep in mind that bumpstops compress. Order the proper bumpsops separate from your chosen lift kit. Since it is a street truck, I would choose a suspension that would give about three inches of compression before it bottoms out on the bumpstops.

That would be the ideal way to determine how much lift you will need. My wild guess would be about 5.5" of lift and 3" extended bump stops, but I really do not know off hand. Good luck with your build!

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My son's '76 is sitting on 3 1/2 springs and 35" tires. IT's cut front and rear and has no problems with tire interference or rubbing.