• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Modifying/cutting winters shifter gates

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw this mod in a thread online for a different trans, I'm running a C4 so the 4's would be 3rd and the 3 shown would be 2nd. Seems this would make it a lot better going from low to reverse and reverse to low off-road. Curious if someone else has made this mod or something similar. I can't see an negative to doing this but could be missing something. I don't manualy shift it on the street so accidentally going into reverse would be slim.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 46

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Cut away, if you don't like it the gates are easy to change and Wide Open Design sells different gates so there are lots of options. I cut them all for a straight run from either 1st or second to reverse, just depends on the pattern to start with

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeller, how would you do the gate for reverse pattern 4R70W?

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Yeller, how would you do the gate for reverse pattern 4R70W?
On mine I've considered a similar approach to the one above but only cutting a bevel to the 1st/N and N/R gates going up to give some sort of pause in the shifts. Mainly because my son and wife drive it at times and it is all manual, so it's possible they'd shove it all the way to reverse on accident.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I normally get the Rock Gate and trim out the gate on the right so its a straight shot to reverse. you can still toggle the stick back and forth if you need to get positive shift points. I do that with my 700r4 street driving, its makes shifting from 4th to 3rd real easy without looking.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The gates shown are for C4, I assume the 4R70W has a 4th slot but otherwise similar?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The gates shown are for C4, I assume the 4R70W has a 4th slot but otherwise similar?

The Winters shifter for the 4R70w/AODE has three forward slots like the C4, fourth gear is an electronic function controlled by a switch. The gates are backward from the C4, meaning you have to pull the shifter to the left to go to reverse from park.

Mark

Attachments

• httpwww.polyperformance.comimages104043_main-4.jpg
    httpwww.polyperformance.comimages104043_main-4.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 36

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, thank you Mark. Where is that OD switch located? I guess anywhere one wants. What have you seen on that?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And that is wired through the controller? I know there are some old threads on that I'll look it up. Thank you again.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
And that is wired through the controller? I know there are some old threads on that I'll look it up. Thank you again.

I'm using a reworked Explorer PCM and harness, not a stand alone controller. But I would assume the controller will do the same.

Mark

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Not to hijack a thread, but I believe Silver fox is the only one doing this and I'm curious how you like it??
Joe
Sorry for the late response to this. Yes, Silver Fox is the only one I know of doing this and I love it.

Last edited:

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Okay, thank you Mark. Where is that OD switch located? I guess anywhere one wants. What have you seen on that?

Here's my modified rock gate for the 4r70w. I plan to notch it like I mentioned earlier next time the shifter is out. In my application I cut the slot for 4th gear and put a micro switch in the shifter, seen hiding in the pic, to engage 4th.

Damn. I need to clean my truck....
3155c6da68e25dc552b26b001fcbfc69.jpg