• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Modifying door post to fit earlier doors?

Rust

So the condensed version of a very long story is that I have 67 bronco with a 68 tub and 67 doors on it. I spent a lot of time going over it and sending off to paint and it's come back looking really good.
The one dumb thing I didn't catch is the door differences between 67/68. I've spent some time reading up on it and am wondering if anyone has modified their door posts to make the earlier striker post fit in the right location? Looking at pics online(thanks broncohut for the excellent pics) it looks like the only major change to the door posts is the movement of the striker bracket down and outwards about 1/2 inch. I can patch something in that spot and re-drill holes easier than replacing the doors at this point.

Has anyone tried this?

Pic reference, the 68-77 on left, 66/67 on right
naqYu4H.png

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Havent done the door posts but I have modified the door latch location before. Its easier than moving the striker. While Im sure your research turned this up. Keep in mind that the door strikers and latches are different between 67 to 68. 66/67 use round strikers and corresponding latches where 68 up is oval. also the striker bolt pattern is not the same.
Of course if you move the latch then the door rods have to be modified as well. not hard but just another thing that has to be done.
Its just kinda hard to move the striker location the way the panel is and have it come out good. but it can be done.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I did it on my 66 when I installed later model replacement door posts on the 66 tub. What I did was cut out the hole sections in a rectangular pattern so that when flipped and welded to the other side door post, it put the holes in the proper place. Hard to explain but it worked! This was the same welding work as filling them in but you don't have to drill new holes. You just have to plan the cuts to make this work.

KBUCK1

I moved the holes in my strikers on an early tub to work with later model doors. opposite of what you are doing. The 2 humps in the strikes are closer together on the early tub of mine but it still worked. The large hole in the middle is inset on one and outset on the other. cant remember if the early tub was inset or the later tubs. But keep that in mind because like mentioned above there are two different strikes. one is oval shaped and one is round . The plates behind the striker posts that the strikes bolt to will need to be different. I made me some