• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Modifying the PS pump for my Ram

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
My PSC ram works but I noticed at low RPM its not working as good as i think it should. I am running a rebuilt Saginaw canned ham pump with a 6" pulley.
I noticed Wild Horses sells s 5.2" serpentine pulley that should spin the pump more at lower RPM.
I also noticed there is some info out there to drill out part of the pump and even add a washer for more pressure but I am curious what adivse you guys have.

West Texas PS Pump mod tech doc

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I haven't done power assist on my bronco yet, But I have done it in the past. The drill out the restrictor mod works well, shimming the pressure spring just made more heat for me no real help. The best thing I did was switch from #4 high pressure hose and fittings (all 3 of them) to #6, and I drilled out the fittings a little more. I always wanted a smaller pulley but never got around to it. Good Luck.

Piglet

I haven't done power assist on my bronco yet, But I have done it in the past. The drill out the restrictor mod works well, shimming the pressure spring just made more heat for me no real help. The best thing I did was switch from #4 high pressure hose and fittings (all 3 of them) to #6, and I drilled out the fittings a little more. I always wanted a smaller pulley but never got around to it. Good Luck.

what pump were you running?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've done a whole bunch of those, very simple process. Remove the fitting that the high pressure hose screws into the back of the pump. Be careful there is a spring behind the fitting and it will fly out if not prepared. Drill that fitting out to 3/16". On the end of that fitting you will see a small hole on the side, open that hole up to the end in a slot remove the washer and reinstall and refill the pump. That will give you more than enough flow and a slight bump in pressure. If it still doesn't keep up the restriction is in the box it's self.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Pretty much what Yeller said. I've done the same mod on my Saginaw with the WTOR Redneck Ram setup and I can turn my 40's with one finger any time. If you're full hydro I would think it would help a lot.