• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

moral dillemma

A

agent_orange71

Ok ive finally started back on my resto. But i have a dillemma. I have a 71 /w a 6 banger that ive already rebuilt, a dana 30 and three on the tree. I also have an extra dana 44 at my disposal. Im not swapping motors, because there is no way i can get the money out of the six that i put into it during the rebuild. But i am considering swapping front ends so that i can do a disc brake conversion cheaper(dana 44 brake parts seem to be easier to find. THe dilemma is that its a 71, the year they changed the axle, and 6 cyl, 3sp, dana 30s are becoming pretty rare birds. So what do you guys think?
note--streetability is a higher priority than wheelin at this point, but some lift could come later

thanks for any input

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Gonna have to be a personal choice. I don't think driveability should be an issue when choosing between a 30 and a 44. Isn't it more a strength issue? Me, I'm leaving my '68 as stock as humanely possible. This will give me more leeway on my '72.

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
i had the same dilemma. ultimately decided to keep the six, 3spd, and 30 up front. my thinking was also that they are getting harder to find and that they have a unique look to them under the hood. i thought people should be able to see that. also, the six has a reliability and simplicity to it that is hard to beat. in your case, i don't see that a 44 with discs is a big turn off. certainly an improvement in safety and technology without a huge visual altering of the vehicle. i'd say a smart thing to do. maybe as a compromise you could run the 30 until you break it and then go to the 44.

maybe because mine is a 66, i just felt better about not modding everything. and to address the trail and wheeling aspect, i thought it better to just build another bronco. one that i could do all kinds of neat things to that had no place in even a resto mod. now i'm looking to lifting, bobbing tails, building bumpers and skinds, and all of that stuff.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Put the dana 44 in if its the right gear ratio, IT should not hurt the resale of the truck in the future, Its just a modern day upgrade. Heck your gonna drive it, not put it in most original show. The 44 with disc is a nice upgrade. And the 6cly is not a bad motor, you will save a few bucks at the pump;D

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
Like broncolove stated. check the gears. the 6 banger may have 4.11's . if the ratios are the same a see no delima at all. swap it;)

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I am assuming from your post that the 44 you have is not already equipped with disc brakes. If this is the case, the chevy disc brake conversion will cost the same for both since it can be done with the same parts on both the 30 and 44. With junkyard parts, you should be able to do the conversion for around $400. I'd save the 44 for something else or sell it to someone who could use it for a rig that will see more trail time than yours. Besides, by selling the 44, you can offset a large portion of the cost of the disc brake parts.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Yeah, do the chvy disc brake conversion. It'll work on the D44 if you ever decide to change it out. And besides, the conversion is easy.
Good luck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You have enough to do without confusing things now. finish the truck as is now. Once you get it up and running then set-up the 44 the way you want it and get a new master cylinder and swap it when you have the time. The 44 is always worth something should you want to get rid of it and the 30 aint worth beans. Adding to your project will keep it from getting finished to the point of driving the truck and enjoying the Bronco for what it is. The truck will never be finished no matter what you do so at least work to a goal of getting running so you can start to enjoy it. At least then you can move to weekend projects to upgrade to your desires.

blackjack

Loc.
San Diego
dana 44 up grade

If you didn't know already if you do the Dana 44 conversion you need to swap out to the Dana 44 front drive shaft and the Dana 44 track arm. Those two items are different, I did not find out till after I did the conversion. So you may or may not have the two items in hand. More money or time locating doner parts. The Dana 30 drive shaft is to long for a Dana 44 and the Track arm of a Dana 30 does not have enough bend in it to clear the from diff. of a Dana 44.

Hope this helps.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I think im gonna stay with the 30 as long as i can find some discs that will go onto it. Anybody know what what type of trucks that had d30s with discs that i could find in a junkyard??

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
I believe it is the exact same conversion for the D-30 or 44 same parts . check the tech section to your left