• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More caster needed

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I have a 74 with the BC 4.5 coils and f150 tie rod over conversion. After replacing everything, including the steering box I still have wandering problems. I think that more caster might cure the problem, but I have heard that the radius arm drop brackes aren't worth it. Are there some caster adjustment cams that can be installed in the knuckles? Has anyone else had problems with wandering with lifts over 3.5 and stock radius arms? Also I have the 7 degree c bushings and correct toe-in. Help me fix this problem. The truck has been down for 3 MONTHS. Thank you in advance..<br><br>John

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I have driven various EB's with more than 3.5 lift and they both had drop brackets. Both drove straight as an arrow and didn't wander at all. What bad things have you heard about the drop brackets? Seems to me that they would give you a little additional caster.

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
i have a 74 with a 4 inch lift that i just installed the drop radius arm brackets and 2 degree bushings and i'm glad i did.it made the drive 100 times better.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
To me a drop bracket defetes the purpose. You lifted your truck/ Then made things hang down off the frame to get hung up on? I wish I could raise my rear leaf spring front perch so I dont get hung up on that! Heck I think I need 2 more inches of lift and 38's. Drop brackes are fine on road / off road they suck!My 2 cents

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have drop brackets and it really made an improvement. But RuleBreaker is right about the loss of ground clearance. Since mine's a street/trail rig, not a rock crawler, it didn't really matter. They hang a little down, but a good sized tire will offset the ground clearance you lose.

OP
OP
J

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=8278;start=0#58709 date=1029981663]<br>To me a drop bracket defetes the purpose. You lifted your truck/ Then made things hang down off the frame to get hung up on? I wish I could raise my rear leaf spring front perch so I dont get hung up on that! Heck I think I need 2 more inches of lift and 38's. Drop brackes are fine on road / off road they suck!My 2 cents<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is what I mean by bad things. Also the brackets are expensive. Would the castor correctors be enough by themselves or would brackets be a better idea?? Thanks for all the replies.

tonto

Bronco Guru
[quote author=jtcamp link=board=5;threadid=8278;start=0#58650 date=1029974111]<br>I have a 74 with the BC 4.5 coils and f150 tie rod over conversion. After replacing everything, including the steering box I still have wandering problems. I think that more caster might cure the problem, but I have heard that the radius arm drop brackes aren't worth it. Are there some caster adjustment cams that can be installed in the knuckles? Has anyone else had problems with wandering with lifts over 3.5 and stock radius arms? Also I have the 7 degree c bushings and correct toe-in. Help me fix this problem. The truck has been down for 3 MONTHS. Thank you in advance..<br><br>John<br>[/quote]<br>Just curious, does everything include the ball joints, if not check them, my E.B. rode terrible with the drop down brackets & 2^ c-bushings with 4.5" coils and when I removed the drop brackets for better trail clearance and went to the 7^ c-bushings I also replaced my ball joints a short time later, made all the difference in the world, people who drive it often comment on how it drives like a car.<br>When you had the front end aligned did you get readings on everything, if so what was your caster and for the heck of it what was the camber?<br>Good luck, Francois.

OP
OP
J

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Yes everything includes the ball joints, c-bushings(7*), wheel bearings, brakes, hubs, springs, shocks(9000's), steering box, new steering conversion(f150), and adjustable trac bar w/ new bushings. I'll get the caster and camber readings and post them. Thanks. <br><br>John

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=8278;start=0#58665 date=1029977525]<br>Here we go again........................<br><br> It's called Castor Correctors for a Dana44<br>[/quote]<br><br>I installed these. I've got a 3-1/2" lift & 7 degree c bushings, everything new. An alignment check showed that the castor was still less than the minimum value (about 2.5 degrees, I think.) The 1.5 degree castor correctors helped a lot. Just don't expect it to track like a sports car. The wander in my front end is gone but it still doesn't have a strong tendency to return to center.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The wonder is not caused by the caster of 4.5" lift springs. The 6.25^ C bushings were made for the<br> 3.5" lift. So the 7^ bushings should make you with-in specs. with a 4.5" lift. If your EB was with-in<br> specs before the lift.You are only talking 1" Your wondering is caused by something loose. Check<br> EVRYTHING from the steering wheel to the tires and you will find slop somewhere.