• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Morimoto LED Headlight Reviews?

gclauson

Contributor
I have been planning to get the Grote 90941-5 headlights, so well-tested by nvrstuk. But Advance Auto Parts has raised the price from $120 to $150 and seems to not offer the 20% anymore. My bad for procrastinating!

Anyway, on eBay, someone is selling out the 1.0 version of the Morimoto LED projector light for $99 each. Somewhat alien-looking, but not too bad.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3247967859...,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

Does anyone run these and have comments on the light pattern, distance, etc? AND, do they fit in the Bronco headlight buckets w/o modification?

Gary

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
tough call on these since the 2.0 version seems to be even better but at a heftier price. I have the grotes and to be honest, not all that impressed. morimoto makes good stuff, so i'd say its worth trying out. i think there's a lot more potential to get a bright/crisp beam from a projected LED vs a reflector bowl with LED (grotes). your housing depth is a limiting factor. I've retrofitted several headlights now on BMWs, VW, Audi, Chevy, Yukon and i'd say that morimoto has some good quality pieces.

that all being said, i went with the grotes because i wanted an "OEM" looking housing.

RedBank

I've been running these for 4 years with no issues. Not sure on version but visibility is much much better than the old halogens. See pic.
Installed just like the old ones, no mods.
8d22f4b8d10896e1470ac6d79a9f56cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Thanks, Shimmy and RedBank.
Sounds like it might be worth trying out since they fit w/o cutting and since Morimoto is a name-brand. I ordered a pair.
Gary

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
I have them installed. It was very easy. These have a pigtail with same connector as the sealed beams, so the harness plugs in. They also have a separate single wire that you can connect 12V that illuminates in daylight running light (DRL) mode. I have not done that.

They are hefty- probably weigh 2-3x more than the sealed beams, due to huge cast aluminum heat sink.

As RedBank said, they fit into the buckets without any modification.

Light output is certainly WAY better than the halogen sealed beams. Light pattern is good on low and high beam. Did not need to re-aim and no one has flashed me. Not sure it is as good as my 2013 F150 with HID, but in the same ballpark.

The do have a somewhat "alien" look, but not too bad, IMHO.

Overall, getting genuine Morimoto lights for $100 each, I am pleased.

Attachments

• PXL_20211103_224254279.jpg
    PXL_20211103_224254279.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20211103_224228761.jpg
    PXL_20211103_224228761.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 32