• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motorcraft distributor stop collar help

abrogate932

I just finished rebuilding my 302, 3 speed and Dana 20. I decided I was going to do the distributor as well before I put it all back in my ‘71. Everything was going well until it wasn’t… as I pressed the drive gear back on, I didn’t have the shaft properly supported and the stop collar cracked in half.

I found that I am not the first knuckle head to do this. I snagged a Motorcraft distributor diagram for a part number from a Mustang forum and found a NOS stop collar on eBay. I thought it would be smooth sailing from here, but it appears I got the wrong collar.

My distributor has a 0.467” shaft and the C8VY-12195-A stop collar has a .528” ID. Hotdog in a hallway.

Does anyone have the correct part number for the D2UF-12127-EA distributor?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don’t have the number for you, but it sounds like, by the differences you’ve cited, the one you got was for a 351 shaft size. Although I don’t remember all the sizes either, it sounds about right.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
This thread talks about distributor shaft diameters:

OP
OP
abrogate932

abrogate932

Thanks for that link. The pics of the Ford Performance catalog confirms the 351W shaft diameter.

OP
OP
abrogate932

abrogate932

Update for anyone who is interested:

I could not determine the correct part number for the 302 Motorcraft distributor stop collar. My solution was to reach out to North East Classic Ford Parts and purchase a rebuildable D2UF-12127-EA distributor for $49. This was my fastest and cheapest option. I removed the drive gear and collar from the unit and installed the collar on my distributor. The holes lined up perfectly. I kept my original drive gear due to concerns about the offset hole possibly not matching between the two units. Instead of pressing the gear back on the shaft, I took a small strip of 400 grit sand paper and polished the shaft where the gear sits. I then took a 3/8” diameter wood dowel and cut a small slit in the tip to place a strip of the 400 grit sandpaper in. The sand paper essentially makes a T with a small section hanging out of east side of the dowel. I chucked the dowel in my cordless drill and polished the I.D. of the drive gear. I applied some assembly lube to the shaft and was able to slide the gear in place and align the roll pin hole. The gear and shaft still have a very tight fit, but I did not need to fight to get it on and more importantly I did not need to use my press to assemble it. In hindsight, I should have stopped the moment I struggled to get the original pieces together, but I assumed the tolerances must be tight because I had to use a bearing separator and press to remove the gear upon tear down. Hopefully somebody can learn from my mistake and avoid this headache.

Dave