• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

mounting 4 row radiator with wide tanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't looked it up to check the dimensions, but I believe most people using aluminum radiators in Broncos these days are using the smaller 2-row cores instead. Some are three row, but I don't remember reading about many (if any?) 4-row aluminum rads being used.

What is the core thickness? Do you have plenty of thin clearance now?
Already using aluminum? Having heating issues?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Years ago I bought a Champion 3 core that sanded up being too wide for my SS 3 core upper brackets. I ended up cutting and “stretching” those two brackets. Once they fit I ended up tig welding them then polished. Worked very well. If I missed the question by a mile I'm sorry.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Champion tubes are 5/8" dia. You are asking to flow a lot of air at low speed through a restrictive core and/or just your fan to be able to pull enough air over that much congested surface area to be able to cool it adequately.

Larger dia tubes cost more and cooler better. This is why Champion radiators are cheaper. If it does the job then fine. Just stating the facts on this brand

Last edited:

destroyer000

yes i just installed one and ended up making my own mounts after calling champion and finding out no mounts are available from anyone for them. i welded some mounts to the side tanks and used a rubber bushing bolted through the core support.. worked great and it allowed me to move it away from fan a little which helped with my rubbing issue on the fan shroud.