• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving the rear axle back 1"

Mustangs2

I bought my 4th Bronco. It's my first cut in the rear Bronco. I am adding a 2.5" suspension lift. I don't like how the rear tire "fits" in the rear wheel well opening. So, I read a bunch of threads on Classic today. I am going to move the axle back 1". What I didn't find in my search was if I need to expect to lengthen the drive shaft. It seems some have and some have not? Perhaps it's like many things about our Broncos...The answer may be...Maybe ;D

Love to hear from a guru who has been there and done it.

TIA

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_22f1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_22f1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 162

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have done it. In fact I moved my axle back probably one and a half inches.
I bought an aftermarket drive shaft the Tom Wood's shaft in fact for my lift and moving the axle back 1 and 1/2+ inches seem to be just fine with my long travel drive shaft. I've driven all the way to Tennessee and back from Orlando and probably put another two thousand miles on it in the last year or two on top of that and it has been just fine.

It's All you can really do is drill your plates drill your axle perches both everything together and see how your drive shaft looks..... you can always put it right back to stock until you can get a lengthened driveshaft if that's what you need to do.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I did 1.25” and at the same time replaced my sagging add a leaf with proper 3.5” lift springs and had to order a longer driveshaft. Wild horses custom length shafts are Tom Woods made and good reputation. Also consider (you probably already know) you may need to change the angle by adding degree shims. I did the 6 degree shims recommended for my lift. Have only taken a victory lap around my cul-de-sac so I don’t know yet about any highway vibrations.

OP
OP
Mustangs2

Mustangs2

I did 1.25” and at the same time replaced my sagging add a leaf with proper 3.5” lift springs and had to order a longer driveshaft. Wild horses custom length shafts are Tom Woods made and good reputation. Also consider (you probably already know) you may need to change the angle by adding degree shims. I did the 6 degree shims recommended for my lift. Have only taken a victory lap around my cul-de-sac so I don’t know yet about any highway vibrations.

Cool story about "Charlie"...Love your speedometer!
All the best.

OP
OP
Mustangs2

Mustangs2

I have done it. In fact I moved my axle back probably one and a half inches.
I bought an aftermarket drive shaft the Tom Wood's shaft in fact for my lift and moving the axle back 1 and 1/2+ inches seem to be just fine with my long travel drive shaft. I've driven all the way to Tennessee and back from Orlando and probably put another two thousand miles on it in the last year or two on top of that and it has been just fine.

It's All you can really do is drill your plates drill your axle perches both everything together and see how your drive shaft looks..... you can always put it right back to stock until you can get a lengthened driveshaft if that's what you need to do.

TY...Orlando to Townsend is quite a haul in a Bronco...Very cool experience I'm sure...I'm with you...just going to go for it and do what's necessary after it's moved.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
i moved mine back 1.5 inches with the ezinch blocks from DIY4X.com they provide 1" of lift and move the axle back either1" or 1.5". did this to somewhat level out ny Bronco. it was draggin butt because the front lift was taller than the rear. leveled it out and centered the wheel/tire in the wheel opening at the same time

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your perches are beat, you can get replacements through the vendors that are already drilled, and you could adjust your pinion angle if needed at the same time during installation. I'm running a modified version of the long Ruff Stuff perches on mine.

OP
OP
Mustangs2

Mustangs2

i moved mine back 1.5 inches with the ezinch blocks from DIY4X.com they provide 1" of lift and move the axle back either1" or 1.5". did this to somewhat level out ny Bronco. it was draggin butt because the front lift was taller than the rear. leveled it out and centered the wheel/tire in the wheel opening at the same time

Thanks Crush

OP
OP
Mustangs2

Mustangs2

If your perches are beat, you can get replacements through the vendors that are already drilled, and you could adjust your pinion angle if needed at the same time during installation. I'm running a modified version of the long Ruff Stuff perches on mine.

Thank you for responding

OP
OP
Mustangs2

Mustangs2

UPDATE ON LIFT and MOVING THE REAR AXLE BACK 1"

Finished up...
*2-1/2" Lift
*Moved axle back 1"
*New Brake Shoes
*New Master Cylinder
*Front and Rear Brake seals
*Radius arm bushings
*Control arm bushings
*Service front differential
*Service Tranfer case
*Service rear axle
*New drive shaft (longer)
*New Wheels
*New 33x12.50x15 tires

Before and after pic

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_22f1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_22f1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 162
  • fullsizeoutput_3136.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3136.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 165
  • fullsizeoutput_3071.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3071.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 142
  • F2B9C5EB-116E-4667-9F91-40AF27795727.jpg
    F2B9C5EB-116E-4667-9F91-40AF27795727.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 7094B9A5-F059-43F3-8A72-3E2965FEA32D.jpg
    7094B9A5-F059-43F3-8A72-3E2965FEA32D.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustangs2

Mustangs2

Came out really nice. Looks beautiful! I gotta ask though... what's hiding under the cover?

It's a 1967 Mustang Convertible -GTA ;D

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c27.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1c27.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 46
  • fullsizeoutput_1d40.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1d40.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_1c26.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1c26.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 50
  • fullsizeoutput_1c25.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1c25.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 41
  • fullsizeoutput_1c20.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1c20.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 42

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The stock spring pad is 4 1/2 inches long meaning there is only 2 1/4 inches to the front and back of the factory hole, drilling a new hole and moving the axle back an inch or more means there is even less support on the side that presses against the leafs to prevent axle wrap.
Aftermarket perches like RuffStuff make give more leverage against axle wrap.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
What width rims did you go with on your 33-12.50x15 tires? And, do you foresee any fender rubbing issues?