• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD 6AL Rev Limiter Settings

CoronaDog

Loc.
San Antonio
Got my MSD system installed. Dizzy, coil, wires, and ignition control. It is so awesome to just start the great pumpkin without playing the gas stomp game. I was wondering what the suggested rev limiter settings everyone else uses.

I have mine set to 5500 right now. Seems fine, but I have only run around the block.

I have a stock 302 from 1980 according to the serial number.

Anything else that I might need to look at while I am still in test mode?

I do not have a tach yet, but I would like to install one, best suggestions?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say your 5500 is right on the money, as that seems to be the commonly recommended limit from the factory.
If it was a stock EB engine, some of them start to fall pretty flat after 5000 anyway (at least when they're older), so you'd still be in good shape.

For your '80 though, depending on what car it came out of might be in the same boat.
But you should be safe with 5500.
Is it rebuilt? High or low mileage? Flat tappet cam or roller? I'm thinking that an '80 vintage would still be flat-tappet, so make sure you use high-zinc content oils in it to protect that old cam.

Good luck. Any tach would be fine. I have an old Sun tach that has worked well. If you like something more Bronco-like in there, we have this one: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=tach that mimics the factory gauge cluster look.
More expensive, but pretty darn cool too I think! ;D

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
stock 302 you'll be running out of air around 5000rpm so that's what will limit your rpm in reality. But 5500 is very safe just in case it goes crazy on ya:)

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I use the 5500 chip but every Tach I have ever had says more like 6k when I hear it hit. Just judgeing off of the quality of MSD parts I have gotten I tend to think my cheapo tachs are off.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
5500 is safe for your motor.

Nick.. My autometer gauges go with you on thereading. I have a 6500 in mine and I dont hear it until around 6700-6800 when it will kick in. I know from the build of mine though it will be ok.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
5500 is safe for your motor.

Nick.. My autometer gauges go with you on thereading. I have a 6500 in mine and I dont hear it until around 6700-6800 when it will kick in. I know from the build of mine though it will be ok.[/QU

The higher I make the cobra motor sing the more I want to push it. :cool: